Force carb. Room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimmer1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mostly understand force carb and temperatures for dispensing etc but I have a question. Since I dont have much room in my beer fridge, I would like to force carb my next batch in advance while sitting in the keg at room temp. The goal is to have the carb level correct so that when I refrigerate the keg it will be ready to serve. My normal fridge numbers are around 2.5 co2. 38 degrees 12 psi.

The charts seem to say around 27 psi at 65 degrees. Is that correct?

So Forced carbed for a few days at 27psi at 65 degrees. Then store it. I don't want it overcarbed when I regrigerate it and serve it

That's about right. How do you get your room so cool though? It's actually 65? It might take longer at room temp it's something to do with the density of the beer and the ease with which Co2 dissolves into solution at a given temp. Just easier in the fridge. Don't forget to turn the regulator down when you put it in the fridge.

The chart is correct. When the temperature is lowered it allows more gas to be absorbed, so it won't be over carbonated.

A few days on the gas isn't going to carbonate very much at all. As long as you follow the numbers on the chart there's really no risk of overcarbonating, so just leave it on the gas until there's room in your kegerator. It's the same thing as leaving it on the gas at a lower pressure in your kegerator.

Back