Force Carb at 70F Room temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatfloyd

Reaction score
I have a corny keg and all required adapters for force carbing a keg. I also have a 20 pound CO2 tank. What I still dont have is a fridge/kegerator to carb at lower temperatures. The lowest room temperature I can get is 70F.

I dont even know where to start or what to do. I plan on buying a fridge in one month, but I already want to try my new kegging setup and have an IPA ready to carb. I know this has probably been answered TONS of times, but there is so much info out there, and I am just very confused on what to do. :drunk:

Thank you!!!!!

While not ideal, you could probably hook it up at about 30psi and get the carbonation process started until you get a fridge to put it in.

The carbonation chart I use only goes up to 65*F, but extrapolating based on the curve it seems like 30psi @ 70*F for a few weeks should get you pretty close.

I've never tried carbonating at room temp myself though, so I would be interested to hear your results.

Alternatively, you could throw in some corn sugar and naturally carb it in the keg at room temp the same way you would bottles. Just be sure to adjust the sugar amount, as (I believe) you would use a bit less in a keg than in bottles.

According to Tasty Brew calculator, , I should carb at 19.1 PSI for a 1.9 vol. But for how much time? When do I know its ready? What happens When I cool for serving? How should I adjust?

Generally I leave it on the gas for 2-3 weeks and it's ready. You can't really "know" it's ready without chilling it and drawing a sample though.

When you cool for serving, just drop the pressure down accordingly to the same desired carb level. For example, to maintain 1.9 vol of CO2 @ 40*F, you would drop the pressure to ~6psi.

Generally I leave it on the gas for 2-3 weeks and it's ready. You can't really "know" it's ready without chilling it and drawing a sample though.

When you cool for serving, just drop the pressure down accordingly to the same desired carb level. For example, to maintain 1.9 vol of CO2 @ 40*F, you would drop the pressure to ~6psi.

OK good! That makes sense! Would there be any problems for carbing at high temps? I mean... I dont mine wasting Co2, but, If on one week I can get a fridge, and carb using a fridge, it would be theorically less than 2-3 weeks right? Lower temp = faster carb?

The 2-3 weeks I quoted is for chilled beer. I assume that it's the same at warmer temps due to the higher pressure you will be using, but I've never tried it myself.

Thus, If you carb it 1 week @ 70*F @ 20psi and an additional week @ 40*F @ 6psi, I would expect it to be ready (or close to it).

There are faster ways to force carbonate the beer (burst carbing, crank-and-shake, etc), but I don't generally recommend them as they are a bit unpredictable and introduce the possibility for over-carbonation.

And CO2 "waste" is not an issue, as the regulator will only release CO2 into the keg as it is absorbed by the beer. It doesn't matter what the temp is.

Pretty sure your wrong. If you have the pressure set for the same volumes of CO2 for the temperature, I've heard it will absorb faster at the higher temperature and corresponding pressure. Something about molecules moving faster at the higher temperature.

I think the confusion is that for any given pressure, colder will absorb more CO2.

Pretty sure your wrong. If you have the pressure set for the same volumes of CO2 for the temperature, I've heard it will absorb faster at the higher temperature and corresponding pressure. Something about molecules moving faster at the higher temperature.

I think the confusion is that for any given pressure, colder will absorb more CO2.

Beer Temperature:*This will affect how readily the beer absorbs CO2. Colder beer absorbs CO2 into*solution*more readily. The lower the temp. the lower the pressure required to obtain a given number of volumes of CO2.

Source: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/0...our-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/

It doesn't absorb more co2- it uses the same amount of gas.

You use a higher pressure to carb at a higher temperature, but not more gas.

It doesn't absorb more co2- it uses the same amount of gas.

You use a higher pressure to carb at a higher temperature, but not more gas.
For any given pressure a liquid will absorb more CO2 at a colder temperature.

And as for sandy's quote. Yes, CO2 is more readily absorbed at a lower temperature, but if you raise the pressure to where equilibrium will give you the same volume of suspended CO2 it compensates for that advantage.

And as for sandy's quote. Yes, CO2 is more readily absorbed at a lower temperature, but if you raise the pressure to where equilibrium will give you the same volume of suspended CO2 it compensates for that advantage.

I have no idea what your point is!

If you want to carb at 70 degrees, use 30 psi.
If you want to carb at 40 degrees, use 11 psi.

It will carb up the same, in about the same amount of time as the co2 is "forced" into the beer (hence the name "forced carbonation") and will use up the same amount of gas. Due to the temperature differential (and that colder liquids hold onto c02 better), a higher pressure is used to force carb at room temperature.

If that is what you are saying, that is absolutely correct. If it's not, I have no idea what you are saying!

It will carb up the same, in about the same amount of time as the co2 is "forced" into the beer ..... If that is what you are saying, that is absolutely correct. If it's not, I have no idea what you are saying!
That's exactly what I was saying. Sorry, when you quoted my post, I thought you were disagreeing with it. The point was that the quote below from sandyeggoxj claims that CO2 is dissoloves better at colder temperature. Like you said, with the proper pressure that is not the case.

Co2 dissolves into solution better when the liquid is cold. That being said you can carb at room temp no problem

I have no idea what your point is!

If you want to carb at 70 degrees, use 30 psi.
If you want to carb at 40 degrees, use 11 psi.

It will carb up the same, in about the same amount of time as the co2 is "forced" into the beer (hence the name "forced carbonation") and will use up the same amount of gas. Due to the temperature differential (and that colder liquids hold onto c02 better), a higher pressure is used to force carb at room temperature.

If that is what you are saying, that is absolutely correct. If it's not, I have no idea what you are saying!

I am with yooper here. You don't get "more" co2 dissolved into the beer. It is the ease and efficiency of dissolving the co2 that matters. I don't have the luxury of carbonating while chilled so I do it at room temp. I can achieve the same volumes of carbonation as when chilled in the same amount of time.

Following your argument if I carbonated my beer at a serving temperature of 40°F and then, once carbonated, removed the keg and, assuming I had no leaks, let it warm up I would have less volumes of co2. That is wrong.

Can you cite your source for this? I'd like to know how a warmer beer absorbs co2 faster. If 30 psi at room temp will carb to the same volumes as 11psi at 40°F then you are saying the room temp with absorb faster? What temp do commercial breweries carbonate at?

I am with yooper here. You don't get "more" co2 dissolved into the beer.
What I said was that if the temperature is lowered, but the pressure remains the same, you will get more dissolved CO2. That's what "For any given pressure" means.

Following your argument .........
Something you haven't shown the aptitude to do, but that hasn't stopped you from drawing absurd conclusions. Try reading slower. It might improve your comprehension. :p

Can you cite your source for this?
Getting back to reading slowly, my post said "I've heard". Here are two of the places. I have a lot of respect for Bobby and trust his conclusions.

Note that we ALL should agree that Henry's law supports greater gas solubility at lower temps, but it is pressure dependent. The volumes of CO2 chart is based on these laws. HOWEVER, warmer beer SHOULD carb faster when the pressure has been compensated for that elevated temperature..

This is one of those topics where a lot of myths are propagated because gas laws are boring and technical. Here are a couple others: CO2 dissolves into colder beer faster.
or CO2 dissolves into cold beer more easily.

I think those are both derived from the fact that colder beer requires less pressure for the same content of co2 to be dissolved. In theory, if you were to compare the carbonation rate of 40F beer and 70F beer, both set to the same "volumes target" pressure from the charts, the warmer beer should carb faster if left to sit for "set and forget". CO2 dissolved at the surface of the beer would diffuse to the rest of the beer faster and leave the delta between the head pressure and dissolved CO2 higher.

Bobby_M said:
This is one of those topics where a lot of myths are propagated because gas laws are boring and technical. Here are a couple others: CO2 dissolves into colder beer faster.
or CO2 dissolves into cold beer more easily.

I think those are both derived from the fact that colder beer requires less pressure for the same content of co2 to be dissolved. In theory, if you were to compare the carbonation rate of 40F beer and 70F beer, both set to the same "volumes target" pressure from the charts, the warmer beer should carb faster if left to sit for "set and forget". CO2 dissolved at the surface of the beer would diffuse to the rest of the beer faster and leave the delta between the head pressure and dissolved CO2 higher.

Interesting, i had never heard that before. I wonder how much faster room temp beer would achieve saturation @ 20psi vs cold beer @ 6psi then?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back