Force carb and priming sugar issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbafett

Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal, been brewing for 15+ years. Moved to a new house, with well water, no softener and no filter. Now the beer has head and head retention but no carbonation? Has a mouth feel of carbonation but no bubbles at all. My Scottish ale has a total flat texture. I have used priming sugar (5oz) and force carb 30psi for 4 days and even shake it. The only result is more foam and head but not any carbonation bubbles?
My old house had well water with no softener or filter but the carbonation was great with 3oz of priming sugar with the same kits? Has any one have suggestions?
I do not know my water profile is but it is hard. My HLT has a white haze in it after sparging. I do all grain and extract.

Contact your town or county utilities director and explain your situation why you need to know your profile.
I just did and was surprised to get a response the next day and he answered my direct questions to fill in my BeerSmith water profile data !

But if I have well water, can I change the profile? Im sure it is high in calcium.
I would have to send a sample in I guess, I dont have city/ town water, country well water.

You can send in water samples to get analyzed. Don't know what labs though, maybe someone else can chime in with that.
If you need to change your profile, you can always add what you need. If you have too much of any certain mineral, you could get a reverse osmosis filter system and start from scratch.

Just to give you more info, if I get a leak in my HLT that recalculates, the drip line dried chalky white. After I drain the tank it is full of white chalky stuff all over.
The beer bottled or forced kedged, tastes like soda that has been opened once then reopened, stiff fizzes and foams when you pour but flat.

Back