For those who keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I am planning on starting asap and have a few questions.

1. Once a keg is carbed and ready to drink does it have to remain on the gas or can I take it off if I'd like to take it to a game, party etc? For example if I took it off of the CO2 and put it in a cooler, took it to a party so we could have homebrew on tap, would the pressure and carbonation last through the night without the tank?

2. Do any of you use growlers, bottles, etc to pour your kegged beer into when taking some somewhere?

I have been bottling for a year and plan on switching in the next month to a 15 gallon keggle and a 2 keg setup but can't seem to grasp the in's and out's of being able to take beer with me once it's kegged. To date if I was heading out I could just grab a 6, 12. case of beer and roll, but with all 5 gallons being in a huge cylinder it seems to change the game a little bit.

Any insight is appreciated!

I am planning on starting asap and have a few questions.

1. Once a keg is carbed and ready to drink does it have to remain on the gas or can I take it off if I'd like to take it to a game, party etc? For example if I took it off of the CO2 and put it in a cooler, took it to a party so we could have homebrew on tap, would the pressure and carbonation last through the night without the tank?

2. Do any of you use growlers, bottles, etc to pour your kegged beer into when taking some somewhere?

I have been bottling for a year and plan on switching in the next month to a 15 gallon keggle and a 2 keg setup but can't seem to grasp the in's and out's of being able to take beer with me once it's kegged. To date if I was heading out I could just grab a 6, 12. case of beer and roll, but with all 5 gallons being in a huge cylinder it seems to change the game a little bit.

Any insight is appreciated!

1. Once the beer is carbed it will stay carbed, assuming there are no leaks in your seals. The headspace will definatly push some beer through but i don't know how long it would last. IMO i would not recommend this. I would recommend you get something like this or if you are planning on killing the whole keg that night you could get something like this.

2. BMBF

I bet you could put 30psi or more even for your excursion. I don't think it would overcarb the beer between pressurization and the end of the night, though I could be completely wrong. I'm still pretty relatively new to this.
ezziey

1. Once the beer is carbed it will stay carbed, assuming there are no leaks in your seals. The headspace will definatly push some beer through but i don't know how long it would last. IMO i would not recommend this. I would recommend you get something like this or if you are planning on killing the whole keg that night you could get something like this.

2. BMBF

1+ on the portable CO2 cartrige works great with a 3 gal keg. Don't forget the tap.

Back