For those who have built home bars.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
If you built a bar over a carpeted section of a room, did you remove the carpet and padding below the bar? I am assuming you would have to, but I have never taken on a project similar to this, and want to make sure I am going about it right.

Depends if you want it movable- You can certainly do a free standing bar, even add casters to it. If you're looking for a permanent install, I would remove the carpeting.

I'd remove all of the carpet anyway. After a few spilled beers you're just going to need to tear it up anyway. Put down some wood or some tile around the bar area to make cleanup easier.

I'd remove all of the carpet anyway. After a few spilled beers you're just going to need to tear it up anyway. Put down some wood or some tile around the bar area to make cleanup easier.

+1 for wood. Once SWMBO and I buy a house (making sure it has an adequate space for an in house bar) I'm going to tear up the carpet, lay out the footprint of the bar and hardwood the floor with something very durable and warm.

It is in a basement, so the subfloor is a concrete pour. I would need to bolt down some 2X4s for the base.

There should be 2 main components of the bar, a fixed traditional walk behind section for serving mixers, wines and such, and a mobile/semi-fixed keezer ala-Jester. The concern around the beer getting into the carpets is real, but we plan to redo the floor down there down the road, it is a multi color berbur carpet, not to stylish. I would want to redo the bar section in either hardwood, or laminant.

Thanks for the feedback. It is really what I though I should do, just wanted to confirm.

If you're going to be reflooring it then I'd say get that carpet up from under the bar, it'll be a PITA when you do remove the rest if you left it under the bar.

The easy way is to just tie into the floor without cutting the carpet. The right way is to remove the carpeting first. Not removing the carpet will make your butt sore since you'll be kicking yourself there in the near future if you take the easy way out.

The easy way is to just tie into the floor without cutting the carpet. The right way is to remove the carpeting first. Not removing the carpet will make your butt sore since you'll be kicking yourself there in the near future if you take the easy way out.

LOL! That's funny. Very true also, if you're bolting it down, carpet has to go.

Tile can be had for as little as $1 per square foot and is super easy on concrete. Depending on the size, you could tile for under $50.

Linc

I debated making that corner of the room tile or linoleum... But I just put the bar on top of the carpet. I plan on taking it to the next house, so I didn't want to bolt it down. It's heavy enough that it's not moving anyway.

http://www.dubbeldachs.com/bar.htm

I figured that when I move, what's the next person going to do with a carpetted basement that has a 6'x8' tile corner?

My subfloor is concrete with slate tile on top. I did not secure the bar to the floor and I don't think it's necessary. Mine was built with cabinets and a top bar portion. It's heavy enough - it's not going to move at all.

I didn't tie mine to the floor but I did attach the bar surface and framing to the stud wall on the left of picture. With the weight from the wood, keg box, kegs, a bottle fridge and misc hardware that bar isn't moving anywhere.

2693197516_1cd1066128_m.jpg

I don't plan on moving, and if I do, I'll rebuild.

+1 on removing the carpet and going into the conrete. They also make some nice pre-engineered wood flooring that will hold up to basement moisture as well as beer spillage.

Back