For those who don't use secondaries, how do you prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
If you don't use a secondary, do you add the priming solution to the primary? Or do you add sugar to individual bottles? If you add to the primary, how long do you let it settle after adding the sugar solution?

I'm guessing you're bottling straight from the bucket/carboy?
I think most people have a bottling bucket with a spigot on it. General procedure is pour half the priming solution into the bucket, siphon the beer on top, and pour the rest in halfway through, maybe giving it a slight stir without introducing too much oxygen.
Not sure how that would work directly from primary.

Add the priming solution to a bottling bucket. This way you can rack the beer off the trub in the primary and bottle from a clean bucket with a spout.

Most use a bottling bucket. If you don't have a bottling bucket, I would add sugar (preferable using the tablets) to each bottle. It wouldn't seem prudent to mix sugar in your primary that has a yeast cake sitting on the bottom.

I'm guessing you're bottling straight from the bucket/carboy?
I think most people have a bottling bucket with a spigot on it. General procedure is pour half the priming solution into the bucket, siphon the beer on top, and pour the rest in halfway through, maybe giving it a slight stir without introducing too much oxygen.
Not sure how that would work directly from primary.

This is exactly what I do...works like a champ.

Whether I use a secondary or not, I still always use a bottling bucket. That way you're not resuspending all of the sediment that you've had drop out of the beer.

I do as others do- add the sugar to boiling water, stir it up to dissolve and pour it in the sanitized bottling bucket. Then, rack the beer into that. I "curl" the tubing in the bottom, so it mixes while it fills from the bottom as to not splash at all.

I use a bottling wand in the spigot, to easily control the fill without any splashing or foaming. It's very easy, and I think a majority of brewers do it the same way.

Whether I use a secondary or not, I still always use a bottling bucket. That way you're not resuspending all of the sediment that you've had drop out of the beer.

I do as others do- add the sugar to boiling water, stir it up to dissolve and pour it in the sanitized bottling bucket. Then, rack the beer into that. I "curl" the tubing in the bottom, so it mixes while it fills from the bottom as to not splash at all.

I use a bottling wand in the spigot, to easily control the fill without any splashing or foaming. It's very easy, and I think a majority of brewers do it the same way.
This is the one. See Revyy's tips for Bottlers. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Back