for those who do long primaries and no secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Do you cold crash the beer before bottling? I ask because I just bottled a couple of batches after a month long ( or within a few days) primary. I DID rack to secondary and cold crash and still got a decent layer of trub in the bottom of the secondary each time. I was careful with the racking so I don't think I got very much trub in the transfer. even if I did it was no way as much as what was in the bottom of the secondary vessel at bottling. So even with a long primary and no secondary, do you still recommend cold crashing?

How long did you wait before racking?

Of course you are going to get sediment on the bottom of your secondary after cold crashing; that's the whole point of cold crashing. You probably shouldn't have the same volume that you end up with after primary, though.

In terms of clarity, I think cold crashing is better than not cold crashing, but I also think racking, THEN cold crashing is better still. And racking, gelatin and cold crashing is even better.

How long did you wait before racking?

Of course you are going to get sediment on the bottom of your secondary after cold crashing; that's the whole point of cold crashing. You probably shouldn't have the same volume that you end up with after primary, though.

In terms of clarity, I think cold crashing is better than not cold crashing, but I also think racking, THEN cold crashing is better still. And racking, gelatin and cold crashing is even better.
I primaried for almost a month ( over 3 weeks not quite 4) racked to a secondary and straight into cold crash for 2-3 days..racked to bottling bucket and bottled. And no of course there wasn't near as much trub after cold crashing as there was in the primary, but more than just a dusting.

Well that is just what happens in my experience. You still have a lot of yeast and other stuff in suspension, even after a month at fermentation temps. If I am bottling, I will pretty much always add finings and cold crash unless I'm doing a style that is supposed to be cloudy like a witbier. Most of the time I rack to another vessel first, although there have been a few times when all my fermenters were otherwise occupied and I ended up just doing it in primary. In my experience with those batches, I formed the opinion that the clarity wasn't as good as when I racked first.

I usually just cold crash in the primary. Of course the longer it sits, the clearer it will be, and I think it's easier to pick up a little bit of gunk from the bottom if you are not real careful about handling the bucket/carboy during bottling.

I figure that since there will be fermentation in the bottle as it carbonates I will always have a little sediment in the bottle. If I cold crash it before I bottle I will have a little less but will the difference be enough to matter? I'd rather leave out that time and let the bottles sit a little longer in the refrigerator and call that time my cold crash.

I've only done a few batches, but yes, I cold crash. I also strain the beer when transferring from my primary to my bottling bucket. I strain in a way that the strainer is partially in the beer as well as the tip of the hose. I do this to prevent oxidation of the beer...although I'm not sure if running the beer through a strainer without splashing would even cause oxidation.

I don't have space to cold crash- just the one fridge for food, so no I don't cold crash. With a good hot/cold break and a long primary, my beers have been very clear.

+1 daksin,my predicament as well. I just leave it in primary unless oaking or something. Get a stable FG,then let it sit 3-5 days beyond that,maybe even 7 to get it cleaned up & settled out clear or nearly so.
Then rack to bottling bucket to prime & bottle. My Burton ale settled crystal clear in 3 days flat in the bottles. My wife's summer ale clone took about a week. Both are now clear & beautiful. It's making me salivate just thinkin about'em.

Back