Quantcast

? for those that swear by blowoff tubes

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I've seen a ton of people that say to always use a blowoff tube. I was just curious if they are only necessary in a smaller carboy or bucket.

I've never used one (don't even own one) and I haven't had a problem yet using 7.9g buckets and 6.5g carboys. Last brew was a 1.085 RIS with a 2L starter and while I saw a very vigorous fermentation that was pretty much done in 3 days I always had at least 10" of headspace in the carboy.

Of course I haven't tried pitching onto a yeast cake yet....

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I typically only use one if I have to do my primary in a 5 gallon carboy. I've yet to need one for my bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
Really depends on the situation. I keep an eye on my carboys and throw on the blowoff if it looks like it is going to blow. I have had to clean up a couple messes, even in my 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys.

Soulive

Reaction score
I primary 5-5.5 gallon batches in 6 gallon Better Bottles. I always use blowoffs and I leave them on until I keg. I never do secondarying anymore...

(note: this comment is subject to change)

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Professor Frink said:
I typically only use one if I have to do my primary in a 5 gallon carboy. I've yet to need one for my bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy.
For my currently fermenting brew in a 6.5 gallon bucket I decided to use a blowoff because I was pitching onto a yeastcake. I'm really glad I did. Lots of stuff blowing through it.

I did the mcgyver blow off attachment I've seen on here.

I don't know if I'm the only one whose ever lost the top of a 3 piece airlock, but I decided to save the rest of it for this purpose. I also took a small saw and cut off the little bit cris-crossed plastic at the bottom of it so that it would have unrestricted access.

When I left for work this morning the darn thing was still glorping away after nearly 36 hours, and the runoff container was 1/4 full of brown bubbling liguid.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
Soulive said:
I primary 5-5.5 gallon batches in 6 gallon Better Bottles. I always use blowoffs ...
+1

I've started attaching a blowoff to my 6.5 gallon carboy, too, just out of habit. There's no harm in doing so.

I replace it in a week with an airlock.

OP
maltMonkey

maltMonkey

Reaction score
The fact that so many people have needed them makes me wonder if I'm constantly underpitching.....

Soulive

Reaction score
maltMonkey said:
The fact that so many people have needed them makes me wonder if I'm constantly underpitching.....
Don't doubt yourself. If the OGs are moderate-low and you keep fermentation temps under control, you may not need one. I just feel I'm better safe than sorry...

Beerthoven

Reaction score
maltMonkey said:
Well, I guess you could be, but it sounds like you have a lot of headspace in your buckets. I use on with my 6gal BB because the headspace is pretty small with a 5.5gal batch. Some yeast never blows off (SafAle S-04), others do pretty regularly (SafAle US-05, Nottingham). I just use a blow-off tube all the time because its one less thing to worry about.

Revvy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
maltMonkey said:
None of my other brews have ever needed one...But since I was pitching onto an old cake (Safale-05) and agitating the heck out of it I figured this brew would blow. It was a strong brown ale recipe with a lot of fermentables, so I figured better safe than a total mess in my closet.

I think the only other time I would consider it was if I was doing a fruit beer with fruit in the primary.

All my other brews so far have been fine in the bucket with a normal airlock.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
I primary in a 6g or a 6.5g carboy and use blowoffs for both. I don't have 10" of head space though, are you doing 5g batches? I almost always need my blowoff during vigorous fermentation period. I use smack packs for what it is worth, with no starter (I know, I have to start using them)

s3n8

Reaction score
Beerthoven said:
Well, I guess you could be, but it sounds like you have a lot of headspace in your buckets. I use on with my 6gal BB because the headspace is pretty small with a 5.5gal batch. Some yeast never blows off (SafAle S-04), others do pretty regularly (SafAle US-05, Nottingham). I just use a blow-off tube all the time because its one less thing to worry about.
+1 on Nottinghams making a mess :)

Had a 5 gallon double IPA using Nottinghams blow the top off a 6.5G bucket, temp might have been a little warm at 74. Fermentation was fast to start, and fast to finish. Next batch of Imperial Stout using WL 001 didn't quite make it to the top of a 6.5G carboy. Close, but I could have gotten away without a blowoff tube. Temp was a pretty consistent 65 though. I guess based on my experience, yeast and temp have almost as much to do with it as OG and headspace.

ajf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you are using 5g carboys for a 5g batch, blow off tubes are always necessary.
If you are using 6g carboys for a 5g batch, blow off tubes are sometimes necessary.
If you are using 6.5g carboys for a 5g batch, blow off tubes are never necessary.

Until yesterday. :eek:

capcrnch

Reaction score
Revvy said:
I don't know if I'm the only one whose ever lost the top of a 3 piece airlock, but I decided to save the rest of it for this purpose. I also took a small saw and cut off the little bit cris-crossed plastic at the bottom of it so that it would have unrestricted access.
Nope, you aren't alone.
I have about 8 air locks and i'd say 4 or 5 are the lock only. The hats and caps are no where to be found.

Revvy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
capcrnch said:
Nope, you aren't alone.
I have about 8 air locks and i'd say 4 or 5 are the lock only. The hats and caps are no where to be found.
Good to know I'm not the only one...:D

So last night I cleaned out the collection vessel that my blowoff tube has been sitting in. I had started with a quart of normal dilution iodophor. After work yesterday, after 48 hours of good blow off I had a half gallon of diluted ale in there. What was even more surprising was the quarter inch of really clean looking yeast at the bottom of the container.

I dumped it....But I'm wondering if that could have been used to make a starter from? Or would the iodophor have harmed the yeasties?

RLinNH

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I primary in 6 1/2 Gallon Glass Carboys, and I like to end up with 5 1/2 Gallons of Wort for Fermentation. I never go without a Blow Off tube, and about 50% of the time, I am Happy I used one. I always do a Yeast Starter, and I think that has a lot to do with it.:fro:

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
ajf said:
If you are using 6.5g carboys for a 5g batch, blow off tubes are never necessary.
Just finished attaching a blow-off to my 6.5g carboy with 5g batch in it, tonight... Had an airlock on there since I brewed Sunday, had activity within 18 hours or so, today I came home to blowoff in my airlock.

Not taking any chances!

Must say its the first time I used one on my 6.5g carboy... first time using a starter as well, so they may be somehow related? :rockin:

raceskier

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Another 6 gal BB user here. I always use a blowoff tube for the first few days until the fermentation begins to slow and the krauesen drops, then I swap it out for an airlock. I have had some interesting brown Starsan snakes spewing out of the blowoff container.

I tried an orange carboy cap with an airlock once. It may have re-entered the atmosphere by now.