For those that have a leaky fermentor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Was wondering, have you had any noticeable ill effects? Somehow my fermentor bucket got to close to the banjo burner and wrapped it some. Lid still seals good and everything, but it leaks just enough that there is no bubbling coming out of bubbler. Brew still taste good and all, but I was wondering is it that important to get a totally sealed fermentor? I'm sure that there will be a good layer of CO2 on top of the krauzen. But, since it will require pressure to move the bubbler, by not having one, would it affect the wort by not having that positive pressure? It is stored in a clean, dark and cool pantry.

My main concern would not be the co2 being expelled through that "new" hole...it'd be the potential for contamination that comes with scratches, dings and holes in the plastic. Little baddies could hide in there unless it's a really clean hole, which I doubt. Same goes for your mom. So if I were you, I'd get a new fermenter as soon as you can. Use this one in the meantime, be very anal about cleaning and sanitizing it pre-ferment, and keep your fingers crossed.

Back