for the pilots or avaition buffs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat-O!!!! I've only flown Skyhawks and C-150s, But that's cool to see all the other panels! A bit daunting for rookies like myself, but still cool.

I fly the EMB170, it is awesome with todays technology... (5) flat screens and (2) of them have multiple screens to view all of the a/c parameters. BUT, nothing is cooler than a daunting panel of steam guages! Id love to fly a DC-8 too... I love those dinosuars!

I fly the incredibly top secret ******** UFO - 189.

It is completely invisible and picks me up in my bathroom each morning when I am done brushing my teeth.

We got it from some really stupid aliens. They landed and approached us stating that they were unarmed and came in peace.

Armed with that knowledge, we had no trouble killing them and taking their ship.

It was so cool!!!

(Sorry, I am in a strange frame of mind today! I couldn't help it.;))

v cool. its neat to see the development of cockpits, especially from a single pilot/ multi crew perspective.

the new glass cockpits look simpler since there isnt as much 'stuff' displayed at any one time but its quite a bit more complicated now.

I would tend to disagree with glass cockpits not displaying as much stuff at one time. On a SINGLE screen of the (5) that we have available at one time... we have:

EHSI, ADI, TAS, CAS, GSP, RNP, Wind direction/speed and correction, SAT, TAT, FMS NAV, VOR, LOC, ADF, Waypoint, distance, DME, radar... and more! That is just on the PFD, there is at least 10x this available on the MFD and the EICAS. Transitioning from steam guages to glass can be a little daunting due to the ammount of information available, over a little time your brain learns to determine what is important at the time and what is not. You simply cannot keep it all in your scan at a given time. Glass cockpits have allowed the avionics manufacturers to cram an INCREDIBLE ammount of information into a small space, because there is no longer a need for an "instrument" to display it... it is simply a value calculated in the MAU's of the aircraft and placed in a 3/8" section of a 6" x 10" screen. It is incredible what these things can do nowdays!

Back