? for Houston Sausage Makers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
Anyone know where to pick up some 'Tender Quick' locally? I hate to mailorder it and pay $10 shipping for a $5 order.

Zack's spices in Deer Park carries curing salt and other sausage making materials. It's worth the trip just to see their warehouse. Think of 55 gallons drums of every spice imaginable.

One thing that my neighbors love is good parisa(?). Is that common in more areas of Texas, or is that more of a San Antonio thing?

That is something I'd like to learn to make for them.

One thing that my neighbors love is good parisa(?). Is that common in more areas of Texas, or is that more of a San Antonio thing?

That is something I'd like to learn to make for them.

This is the first time I've heard of it. It doesn't look tough to make at all, but I'd suspect you'd want to find some grass fed beef, and either butcher it yourself or have it butchered in front of you...I don't think you'd want to eat raw beef from corn fed cattle...to much of a chance of e. coli.

This is the first time I've heard of it. It doesn't look tough to make at all, but I'd suspect you'd want to find some grass fed beef, and either butcher it yourself or have it butchered in front of you...I don't think you'd want to eat raw beef from corn fed cattle...to much of a chance of e. coli.

Good point.

I know that my neighbor (and the guy who owns the house we rent in Texas)is from Hondo, and they talk constantly about parisa and "good parisa". I didn't know if that was common all over south Texas or not.

Good point.

I know that my neighbor (and the guy who owns the house we rent in Texas)is from Hondo, and they talk constantly about parisa and "good parisa". I didn't know if that was common all over south Texas or not.

No, parisa is Alsatian, and more of the French stayed over in Louisiana than came to Texas. Hondo was settled in part by peeps from the Alsace-Lorraine region tho, which is why it's popular down there I guess.

This Texas sausage history lesson brought to you by Google, Starbucks, and El Pistolero

Back