foodsaver questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
got my hops order from Hops Direct yesterday and have a buddy with a foodsaver. can't get ahold of him for a couple of days, so i'm hoping to get some info from you cats in the know.

i'm assuming there are lots of different sized bags available? i want to package the pellets in 1-3 oz aliquots...I'm assuming the smallest bags available will do the trick?

Are the bags interchangeable between different foodsaver models? not sure which one he has, but if i could just score some bags at the local store, it'd be nice to know if they'll work with all models.

any info on the above would be much appreciated, as would tips on packaging hops with a foodsaver, in general.

thx.

If you want to do bags then just get a roll of th 8in and make your own. I think the best way to go though is get the mason jar sealer attachment and just use mason jars. I put about 8 oz in each jar and then just take out what I need an reseal them.

Mason jars take up lots of space in a freezer. I have close to 9 pounds of hops in my freezer, and putting that much in mason jars would really piss off my wife. Instead I make extra long bags with my foodsaver, and keep the hops in the original bag it came in, inside my bag, which I then stuff into quart-sized freezer bags labeled with the hops, date, and AA%. When I need to measure out hops for a batch, I'll pull it out, cut off the end, take what I need, stuff the hops back into my foodsaver bag, and reseal the end.

Mason jars take up lots of space in a freezer. I have close to 9 pounds of hops in my freezer, and putting that much in mason jars would really piss off my wife. Instead I make extra long bags with my foodsaver, and keep the hops in the original bag it came in, inside my bag, which I then stuff into quart-sized freezer bags labeled with the hops, date, and AA%. When I need to measure out hops for a batch, I'll pull it out, cut off the end, take what I need, stuff the hops back into my foodsaver bag, and reseal the end.

sounds like a nice viable option...only downside might be the intermittent O2 exposure. not sure how big a deal that is in reality, tho.

unfortunately, not an option for me, since I don't own the foodsaver. i'll have to make up small useable packets in the 1-3 oz range.

Get the rolls and make your own. Both the foodsaver and seal-a-meal sealers and bags are interchangeable.

If you have mason jars and attachments and LOTS of room in your freezer, that'd be a nice way to go since you can't really re-seal the bags (little bits of hop get in the way of the seal and air slowly leaks bag in), but you can always re-seal vacuumed jars.

I have a 2 1/2 qt. FoodSaver canister that I use to seal Mason jars. Put the hops in the Mason jar, put the lid on but don't screw it down, put the whole thing in the canister, suck out the air, then screw the rim down on the jar. Works great if you have enough room in the freezer for a bunch of jars.

I use the 8" rolls and package in 1 and 2 ounce packages. I agree that having jars would be a bit easier, but I like the neat and tidy sealed bags that I take and just put into 1 gallon freezer ziplocks, sorted by hop type. Easy, peasy to grab one or two out of the freezer when you need them and know exactly what you have. And it keeps the hops good for a long time.

~r~

I've had the same problem.

I have done this with much luck. Just make sure to wipe the seal area with a slightly damp papertowel moistened with clean water. then reseal. as long as there arent any particles there it will reseal. Or I have also done a double seal on mine if the first seal is not all that great. Just move it out about an 1/8th inch and seal again. works for me well!

Back