Foodsaver help for my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
I have just borrowed the foodsaver from my mother-in-law and can only get some of the bags to stay sealed. She had no info for me so I am just winging it. Any one have this down? I have 8 pounds to bag up!!

Thanks all!

I've never had a problem with mine. You do have to leave enough space at the top of the bag so that the bag lies smooth and flat against the sealing wire.

TL

Make sure there's no "hop dust" or other particles on the heat seal line. Even the smallest bit will cause it to not seal properly.

I had boght the Rival model and it didn't work. I know others on here have had success with Rival. But I went and got the foodsaver model. Its awesome!

And I agree totally with TexLaw and PseudoChef!

I always do a double seal with stuff like that, where I might not check in on it for awhile. Seal it once, then immediately move the bag about 1/4"in or out of the mouth of the machine, and make another seal. This works best for me.

I am using foodsaver bags and I do not know how old the machine is. Some of the bags are still sealed, but the others are not. :confused:

I'd say either the sealer is loosing some of it's strength or you're not getting the bags flat enough on the seal strip. I feel very wasteful doing it, but you have to make the bag quite a bit larger then what you are putting in it to allow for it to lay flat in the machine.

Make sure both oval foam rubber gaskets in the sealing area are in the right place. Sometimes one will stick to the other and be pulled out of it's slot.

Another trick, if not getting a strong seal is to put a little hand pressure on the top lid during the vacuuming and sealing cycle.

Back