Food safe plastics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyerta

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm happy to have finally joined, so thanks for having me around! I'm making a wort-submersed sensor for some experiments I'm running. Success in this would mean being able to do remote SG tracking.

But I need some help. One of the biggest challenges here is making a sensor chassis that will not infect the wort. What are some options?

These are the following constraints:

-Material must be able to pass 900 MHz E&M frequencies without significant attenuation. This leaves out metals and most ceramics. Plastic might be nice. Rubber though would ruin the working mechanism of the sensor.

-Must be cheap to form into the chassis shape.

Both of these just scream "3D printing! Yes!"

but

The food safety seems to be anyone's guess. A sugary wort seems to have no immune system like people do, so just because a human can eat from it, doesn't mean it can sit in a wort for a month.

If there are no 3D printable HDPEs available, I figured I could use a "food safe ceramic glaze" as the 3D printer community calls it. I could treat any 3D printed object with this magic glaze, and could supposedly call the object food safe. Does that even sound believable?

I would consider wood, if it could be sealed to prevent any water absorption, though using such a buoyant material would seriously screw with the working mechanism of the device.

So if I were to fill a bucket with boiled tap water, and then dump in 3 lbs of dextrose and yeast, agitate it, and then let it sit, would that work as a wort stimulant? If no one knows of plastic options, I'll have to do some experiments on my own!

Ask if you have any questions.

I ultimately want to make an affordable sensor network for brewers. I have the electronics bit already figured out, so getting this next bit down will only benefit the home brewing community!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Thanks all!

Back