Food Network

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so back in March (St. Pat's Weekend), I show up to work on a Saturday at my local Harrisburg brewpub and open the bar. Next thing you know, Chef Guy Mitchell (?) is there with a crew to film. He was filming a pilot for a show called Brew-ha-ha where he tours brewpubs. Apparently he was at Lancaster Brewing Co. the night before and was at Appalachian Brewing Co. (mine) that morning. First thing he does is interview a group at my bar who I poured a sample flight for. He then interviewed me about the beers.

I had an idea about a show like that a few months back. I'm glad someone in TV land had the same idea and is at least trying to get it made. I'll keep my eyes out for it.

I've been hooked on Food TV since moving back to the States in '05. I love just about all of 'em:

Alton - learned a ton from him although some of it is a little suspect (ie: Good Eats: Beer)

I kind of just did also, some of his methods were not up to par. But after watching it, I just figured he was showing a quick and dirty way to show an overview of the process. Being only into my second year some things sounded a bit off, as I just watched this episode 10minutes ago for the first time.

For instance,

Bleach - He was at a homebrew shop and I think most around here would agree there are a few better options, expecially for the new guy who might not rinse as well as they should. (starsan) However I have seen a few threads on the topic and some guys use bleach anyhow.

Skunked Flavor - If you get a stray microbe in your beer it will taste like it came out of the back in of a skunk? Maybe he just meant the taste would fall into the "****" range? I hope he wasn't saying that "skunked" beer is infact "infected". But I have never tasted a beer with an infection, but I have learned that the skunked flavor profile comes from the UV effect on Hops.

Mashing - It seemed like he got some grains to "steep" before the boil. Hence why he noted the water should be around 155'F. I have always taken those out once they steep and discard. He tossed them all in for the duration of the boil!

Ice addition - I know guys do this, and I know it "can" work. But the norm always to me was the Ice Bath method.

Aeration - I was instructed here infact to "Stir" the wort or "shake" the carboy to help induce oxygen for the yeast just before the airlock / blowoff goes on? And I know some use oxygen tanks with aquarium stones! He says to walk away like its a bomb at this point.

Hydrometer - I was also under the impression this was Vital to tell when fermentation was complete, not timing out the bubbles!

And does "Dry hopping" mean tossing in whole hops at flame out? I always thought it was a term used when you add hops during the secondary phase?

I am sure this was discussed a long time ago when it came out, and a debate was staged picking it apart and for that I am sorry if I pissed anyone off. I was in a rambling mood this afternoon! =)

My favorite FoodNetwork show is a throwback - Cooking Live. It was hosted by Sara Moulton - she did thec show live nightly with guests - very informative but not pretentious. It was like going to cooking school.

There's another show that's pretty good with Michael Chiarello.

Back