Food Grade Rivets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopTonger

Reaction score
I'm constructing a platform false bottom, much like the Bayou Classic style kettle, but hit a snag with the rivets. I used steel rivets but they corroded immediately when I gave it a test soak. Has anyone used rivets for material inside a mash/lauter tun or does anyone know of the correct type? I also see some stainless steel machine screws but have the California residents warning about carcinogens that freaks me out a little.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I also see some stainless steel machine screws but have the California residents warning about carcinogens that freaks me out a little.

Everything causes cancer in the state of California. The drinking glasses I bought at Stone came with that warning; I guess it's good I don't live in California.

Those are some mighty expensive rivets! McMaster Carr has them much much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the input - yeah, I wonder if beer itself comes with the same warning label in CA :)
I'll give it a shot with SS rivets and give it the same immersion test.

aluminum rivets will work just fine too. people use brew kettles made of aluminum so i am sure a rivet will work.

Not that it will matter much in a mash tun, but the "blind" or "pop" rivet styles shown are not liquid tight, and can retain moisture in their internal cavity.

Not so with a "solid" rivet, but then ya' need the tools to "buck" them.

Not that it will matter much in a mash tun, but the "blind" or "pop" rivet styles shown are not liquid tight, and can retain moisture in their internal cavity.

Not so with a "solid" rivet, but then ya' need the tools to "buck" them.

I should have mentioned the mash tun is stainless steel and so is the perforated sheet for the false bottom. Aluminum rivets on SS would definitely cause bimetal corrosion.

Concur^^^^^^^ with above.
Get some small stainless nuts and screws, unless you know someone in the aircraft repair bidness', and if so, tell them to hook you up with some AN 470 head Monel rivets, 1/8 dia. should do nicely, and easy to "upset" as well.
Might as well get them to give ya' a little guidance on shooting them, since they probably have the needed rivet set and bucking bars.

Back