Follow up question for people who have transferred from sanke to corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I am going to try and transfer some beer from a sanke to corny. Reading a lot of the other threads, I have a pretty good idea what I am going to do. My questions are just these:

1) Can I get a cheaper sanke tap, say something not stainless steel, maybe nickel plated if I am only going to transfer maybe 5 or 6 times a year?

2) How would I clean or rinse the tap after I transferred the beer if I didnt have another sanke keg filled with sanitizer/water?

1) You can use the cheaper sanke tap either way! Just like faucets/shanks, the chrome plating is usually fine under regular use, the all stainless is bombproof though.

2) I find that putting my couplers in the "open" position (lever down), removing the beer nuts/washers/check valve, and soaking them in oxi clean then hot water is plenty to clean even a gunked up one that's been hooked up to a keg for months. I'd guess a good rinse in hot water (you should be able to see the water come out the top port) followed by a spritz of star san would be fine for your light use. If you can still smell beer when you stick your nose in there, give it a soak.

Remember to hit the rubber parts with keg lube!

If you're only going to use the coupler for transfers, and might possibly want to transfer the other way someday (corny/fermenter to sankey), you can remove the check valves inside. That makes it super easy to clean by simply running some hot water through it in the sink.

Back