Foamy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
Been having issues for long time with foamy beer. Usualy starts about half way through keg. Checked fridge temp- around 36F, coiled hoses on top. I run psi at 12, with 2 kegs off of it. Is that psi high enough for 2 kegs? Read where it should be three sixteens line but there's no way I would ever fit that on my tap connection. I clean lines well and change every 4 kegs or so. Any other advice appreciated. I'm baffled. Thanks

How long are your lines? I run 12 psi w 11’ of beer line.

What type of lines are you using? If you are using Bev Seal Ultra then you will need 12-15'. If using vinyl then probably half that.

I started out using the stiff stuff (Bev Seal Ultra) but have since switched to EVA Barrier (4MM) with John Guess fittings using 6' with no foaming issues.

My keezer temp is set at 35 with a 2 degree swing @ 12 PSI. My beer pours about 40 degrees. I also have two Intertap FC faucets and one CM Becker V3S, which pours better than the Intertap.

If you are using 1/4" line that could be part of your problem. Also check your poppets to make sure there is no crud. Have you cleaned your faucets lately? if not take them completely apart and soak in hot PBW.

Been having issues for long time with foamy beer. Usualy starts about half way through keg. Checked fridge temp- around 36F, coiled hoses on top. I run psi at 12, with 2 kegs off of it. Is that psi high enough for 2 kegs? Read where it should be three sixteens line but there's no way I would ever fit that on my tap connection. I clean lines well and change every 4 kegs or so. Any other advice appreciated. I'm baffled. Thanks
No need to change out your lines every 4 kegs. I kept my initial lines for 2 years before switching to EVA Barrier.

What type of lines are you using? If you are using Bev Seal Ultra then you will need 12-15'. If using vinyl then probably half that.

I started out using the stiff stuff (Bev Seal Ultra) but have since switched to EVA Barrier (4MM) with John Guess fittings using 6' with no foaming issues.

My keezer temp is set at 35 with a 2 degree swing @ 12 PSI. My beer pours about 40 degrees. I also have two Intertap FC faucets and one CM Becker V3S, which pours better than the Intertap.

If you are using 1/4" line that could be part of your problem. Also check your poppets to make sure there is no crud. Have you cleaned your faucets lately? if not take them completely apart and soak in hot PBW.
Not sure on line type. Get at hardware store but I do use 1/4' line, anything smaller can't fit on my perlick tap. And clean taps every 3 kegs.

The line could be the issue. 1/4" is normally for long runs.
If you are able order some EVA Barrier and get some john guest/doutight fittings to connect your lines to your shanks and couplers. Makes life much easier to use JG fittings.

Not sure on line type. Get at hardware store but I do use 1/4' line, anything smaller can't fit on my perlick tap. And clean taps every 3 kegs.
Also, if you are buying your line from a hardware store that's probably the thin wall line, not the thick stuff used in the brewing industry.
You can check out Morebeer or Williams Brewing for the EVA line and fittings.

LOL, that's not even OP. not sure how this guy answered for OP. Must be psychic.
Wondering what are these guys talking about, then I notice. Haven't been on here in a few yrs so I sign up new account then notice old one still works Lol. But I am psychic for instance I fore see you will be brewing fruit beers this summer and ipa's in the fall.

Also, if you are buying your line from a hardware store that's probably the thin wall line, not the thick stuff used in the brewing industry.
You can check out Morebeer or Williams Brewing for the EVA line and fittings.
Thanks, will look into it.

I'm having same issue. I think I have 5 ft lines. I have a hefe that I feel like I've tried everything with. I've only got it at 8 psi. 35°F and 5 ft lines with picnic faucets. First time kegging. I've tried to switch the posts and purge the keg and tried again. I've tried purging over the course of a couple of days and going at a lower psi. I even purged then checked the dip tube to see if the tube was blocked or against the side of the keg... Nada.

Back