Foamy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aceandover

Reaction score
So let me state first I am very new to this, this is my first keg set up. I am getting air pockets and bubbles in the serving lines heading to my tap, which is my guess why it's foaming but how do I fix and what's causing it.
Lil more info
About 5 feet line
Forced carb 15 min shaking at room temp @ 30lbs 2 days ago
Serving pressure set at 5lbs

Your beer is likely over-carbonated due to shaking at high pressure, you're using half as much beer line as you need, and your "serving" pressure is way too low to keep the carbonation in the beer.

Use our favorite carbonation table, plug in your serving temperature, run along that row to your desired carbonation level (hint: middle of the road for ales is around 2.4 to 2.5 volumes of CO2), then run up that column to find the proper pressure to hit and maintain that level of carbonation.

For example, if you're dispensing at 38°F and desire 2.5 volumes of CO2, you should set the regulator to ~11 psi - and keep it there 'til the keg kicks.

Next, use the only beer line length calculator worth using to determine the minimum length of your beer lines. Use 3/16" ID for the lines, and you'll find you need roughly 1 foot of line per psi of CO2 to enable a good pour.

Finally, you're probably going to have to let some CO2 out of that keg to tame it. Remove the gas line and pop the PRV atop the keg every chance you get, and in a day or two it should calm down enough to get things right...

Cheers!

Back