Foam in line- overcarbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd820

Reaction score
OK, I have seen a number of these threads on foamy pours, and I suspect I know the answer but would like to hear other's thoughts on the issue I am experiencing.

In my last 3 kegged beers I have experienced massive foaming issues. I use 8' 3/16 inch beverage lines to picnic taps. I cannot find a leak (and the latest beer is in a brand new ball lock keg) in any of my kegs. For the last 3 batches where I have encountered the worst of the problem I keg immediately following a cold crash at 35 degrees. Then set the psi to 30, shake the keg for a good 5 minutes and let it sit at that pressure for 3 days. Then bleed the keg and set it at serving pressure of about 11psi.

When I go to pour I get straight foam - explosive straight foam. If I ratchet down the psi to 5, i get a slow mostly foam pour. the beer appears to foam up when entering the line. Post pour, I have foam in the line that dissapates leaving me with half a line of air.

The beer in my glass is not overly bubbly at all, in fact it seems under carbed to me but I am sure that is mostly due to it all exploding out of solution when I trigger the tap.

I am thinking this may be overcarbonation somehow, but the method I leverage seems to be widely advocated here an other places. Any other ideas what the heck could be happening before I try and de gas my 2 full kegs and start over?

I am thinking this may be overcarbonation somehow, but the method I leverage seems to be widely advocated here an other places. Any other ideas what the heck could be happening before I try and de gas my 2 full kegs and start over?

It's almost assuredly overcarbonation with the kegs at 35* and 30 psi for 3 days plus the shaking. All the folks I see burst carbing do 30 psi for about 24 hrs only. Shaking at high pressure also increases your chance of overshoot. If you're going to burst carb I'd try 24 hrs max no shaking, or just quit messing with it and do set and forget.

+1 ^^^^^

Overcarb City! 3 days @ 30 PSI (with shaking to boot!) is guaranteed to give you the foamy beer blues. For my system, it's 48 hours max @ 30 PSI and no shaking. Take the advice given above and go 24 hours max @ 30 PSI and forego any shaking. Once you get the hang of how long your system takes to carb up, you can go a little longer. Or do set and forget @ 10-12 PSI and wait a couple weeks.

Many thanks, I will start the process of trying to bleed off the extra CO2 now. Just have to wait awhile to enjoy the beer :(

Back