Foam in airlock on top of carboy (plastic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a first time home brewer, so all this is new for me! Prepared my first batch this weekend, and this morning the fermentation process has apparently started! I noticed that the airlock on top of the carboy is having "foaming bubbles" should I remove? Can this impact or even contaminate the fermenting in progress?

Last edited:
It's okay. You can start by having a blow off tube going to a cup of sanitizer (sometimes it can create quite a mess) until fermentation slows down a little and you can replace the airlock. Depending on how much foam in going into your airlock you can either leave it until new foam stops flowing and clean it and replace it, or immediately replace with a blow-off tube if it's making a mess. Either way, there is enough CO2 being produced now to protect your wort/beer from getting infected for the next day or two.

Thanks, I will clean the airlock and replace the liquid later today. I did put more distilled water in this morning, is dirty now, but have seen it is better with sanitizer or vodka! Many thanks, learning a lot!

I use vodka, but a lot of people use sanitizer. Mostly it's to stop fruit flies from flying in and contaminating your beer, but a little extra protection doesn't hurt.

Hello all,

I'm a first time home brewer, so all this is new for me! Prepared my first batch this weekend, and this morning the fermentation process has apparently started! I noticed that the airlock on top of the carboy is having "foaming bubbles" should I remove? Can this impact or even contaminate the fermenting in progress?
Also did my first brew this weekend and had the exact same issue. I removed, cleaned and replaced the airlock and it’s much cleaner now. I got good advice here as well. Out of curiosity, what are you brewing?

Blow off tube! At the start of every fermentation. Unless you have a large enough fermenter or a closed system. Read about cleaning up after the airlock gets plugged and it then blows off the lid or blows out the stopper,

Just to be clear - if "foaming bubbles" are just the clear liquid in the airlock, you should not remove it. That is 100% normal and desired. It's the CO2 from the fermentation bubbling up through the airlock.

Removal and cleaning are only for when yeast makes its way up into the airlock. That's obvious because the material is thick and a pasty yellow colour.

Just to be clear - if "foaming bubbles" are just the clear liquid in the airlock, you should not remove it. That is 100% normal and desired. It's the CO2 from the fermentation bubbling up through the airlock.

Removal and cleaning are only for when yeast makes its way up into the airlock. That's obvious because the material is thick and a pasty yellow colour.

Yeah, the substance is brown... will clean and replace. Thanks!!

The liquid is brown.. will clean and replace! Thanks

Also did my first brew this weekend and had the exact same issue. I removed, cleaned and replaced the airlock and it’s much cleaner now. I got good advice here as well. Out of curiosity, what are you brewing?
American Ale... Now looking for a good recipe kit for pilsner! What about you?

It's okay. You can start by having a blow off tube going to a cup of sanitizer (sometimes it can create quite a mess) until fermentation slows down a little and you can replace the airlock. Depending on how much foam in going into your airlock you can either leave it until new foam stops flowing and clean it and replace it, or immediately replace with a blow-off tube if it's making a mess. Either way, there is enough CO2 being produced now to protect your wort/beer from getting infected for the next day or two.
Sorry to bother again! Cleaned out the airlock, all good. Is this normal?? Lot of foam stuck to top.. is that going to impact beer?
C1814F70-3EF7-4B5A-BA07-3B3AF685CDA9.jpeg

Thanks for the advise, I replaced the brown liquid with fresh vodka and the airlock is bubbling away!

Sorry to bother again! Cleaned out the airlock, all good. Is this normal?? Lot of foam stuck to top.. is that going to impact beer?View attachment 701434
Yea all the foam at the top of your fermenter is totally fine and normal.
It’s the krausen. If brewing in a bucket it would just be a ring around the bucket,but since you don’t have much headspace it’s making it’s way to your airlock

Sorry to bother again! Cleaned out the airlock, all good. Is this normal?? Lot of foam stuck to top.. is that going to impact beer?View attachment 701434

Damn that was one helluva high krausen! What temps are you fermenting at? Yeast? OG?

One of my very first batches was a high gravity Saison. I put about 6 gallons in a 7 gallon bucket. Me and my wife were living in our final apartment at the time and I set it in the living room corner. We went to work the next morning and when I got home I found the lid sitting on the (white) carpet surrounded by krausen with krausen painted up both of the corner walls and the ceiling....I tried cleaning it up before my wife got home but was too slow. She walks in the door and starts laughing at me hysterically then HELPS ME CLEAN IT UP!..we did not get our security deposit back. Blowoff tube every time since. Cheers!

Normal for some beers/yeast. Really vigorous fermentations can fill up the airlock with yeast, then blow the stopper/airlock out of the cap and spray yeast as high as a 8 foot ceiling.

I'm having the same sort of overflow with my first batch of cider as well, I've cleaned the airlock as well - Is this something that is preventable? Was there not enough head space or?

I'm having the same sort of overflow with my first batch of cider as well, I've cleaned the airlock as well - Is this something that is preventable? Was there not enough head space or?
Yes it’s preventable. Either a larger fermenter or use a blow off tube.

Bottling day... As mentioned before, this is my very first batch, using a more-beer starter kit. It didn't come with a siphon, but the plastic carboy has a spigot. Should I just slowly "drain" the beer with a hose via the spigot in to the bottling bucket?

Have to say, the instructions from more-beer are extremely minimal and not catered to first time home brewers..

Bottling day... As mentioned before, this is my very first batch, using a more-beer starter kit. It didn't come with a siphon, but the plastic carboy has a spigot. Should I just slowly "drain" the beer with a hose via the spigot in to the bottling bucket?

Have to say, the instructions from more-beer are extremely minimal and not catered to first time home brewers..
I think all of those instructions have to minimal, because otherwise you would have a book with all the useful information about brewing! Speaking of books, this is a great place to start: Introduction - How to Brew

Should I just slowly "drain" the beer with a hose via the spigot in to the bottling bucket?

Yes, attach your transfer tube to the spigot on the fermenter and put the other end of the tube in the bottling bucket. Make sure the hose reaches the bottom of the bottling bucket to prevent splashing. Before you begin transferring, this is also when you want to add your priming sugar to the bottling bucket. I haven't bottled in a long time, but I think you need to boil 2 cups of water to mix with the priming sugar. Then pour the cooled sugar water in the bottling bucket. Now you're ready to transfer your beer!

I hope you have a bottling wand with the spring tip to attach to your bottling bucket. Makes filling the bottles much easier. If you don't have one, don't sweat it. Just recommend that you get one for your next batch.

Point taken, and thanks for the book recommendation! PS: any advice on my siphoning dilemma?
I've never used spigots, but a lot of people swear by them. I suppose it depends on if the trub level is below the spigot or above.

My first beer, the kit only came with a racking cane, some hose and instructions on how to get a siphon started. I fussed with that thing for an hour but the flow was so slow and kept stopping. Finally, I got so fed up with it that I filled my mouth with sanitizer and swished and gargled for a minute before starting the siphon with my mouth. I wasn't prepared for how fast that would flow and suddenly had a mouth full of flat, warm beer which I instinctually spit into my bottling bucket! I immediately went and ordered a auto-siphon and amazingly the beer turned out fine.

This thread is a must-read for any bottler and makes it so much easier: Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

Probably won’t help now but for future reference I prop the end of the fermenter with the spigot up with a 2x4 about 3-4 days before bottling. It works real good if you cold crash. Right before you get ready to bottle take the board out and slowly put your fermenter down. Then all your trub is away from your spigot

Same question. I drained it already and cleaned and sanitized it about an hour ago and it's overflowing again. Is this OK or should I keep draining it or should I let it foam out til it slows and then clean out again? I don't have a hose to add that to it.

Attachments

• 20210201_191031.jpg
    20210201_191031.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Same question. I drained it already and cleaned and sanitized it about an hour ago and it's overflowing again. Is this OK or should I keep draining it or should I let it foam out til it slows and then clean out again? I don't have a hose to add that to it.
You can just clean it out as needed. Spray with San star, pull airlock and dump, spray with San star and put it back.
or just take the lid off your airlock so it doesn’t clog and blow off, and let it foam over until it stops then take off and clean.
I’d do option #1. Just keep everything sanitized

Thanks nokie. I cleaned out airlock and sanitized it and put water back in it. It's not foaming enough to get to the airlock now. So I should be good now. Strong ale so it had allot more foam than the other beers I've made.

How do you go about installing a blow off tube in the top of the bucket? There is the small hole with the gasket that the bubbler sits in. What size tubing etc..

How do you go about installing a blow off tube in the top of the bucket? There is the small hole with the gasket that the bubbler sits in. What size tubing etc..

You should pull the airlock and the gasket off and measure the diameter of the hole itself to find out what size tubing is needed for a tight fit. The tube should be long enough to reach the bottom of a mason jar or similar without taking a sharp turn that might kink it. The tube needs to take a fairly gentle curve to avoid any kinks.

blow_off_bucket_large.jpg

For a carboy like in the picture, you can try and size the tube to the full inside diameter of the neck as shown. The wider the tube, the less change of it clogging up during an event.

carboy-blowoff.JPG

Hello all,

Attachments

• IMG_6422.MOV
    22.4 MB
Ok, I caught this overflow just as it began to erupt. Hopefully I have followed advice from here all ok and it’s just a case of stout sitting for a few hours until it peaks and I can pop the S lock back on :coff2::rock:

Ok, I caught this overflow just as it began to erupt. Hopefully I have followed advice from here all ok and it’s just a case of stout sitting for a few hours until it peaks and I can pop the S lock back on :coff2::rock:
There is no need to switch from a blow-off tube back to an S type airlock they both serve the same purpose, I use only blow-off tubes for EVERY batch. I have had blow-off at times with all styles of beer. BTW if you can have the catch vessel below the fermenter to avoid a reverse siphon. At least have it on the same level as the bottom of the fermenter.

There is no need to switch from a blow-off tube back to an S type airlock they both serve the same purpose, I use only blow-off tubes for EVERY batch. I have had blow-off at times with all styles of beer. BTW if you can have the catch vessel below the fermenter to avoid a reverse siphon. At least have it on the same level as the bottom of the fermenter.

Thank you for your reply it’s great to get some seasoned advice. moving forward I think I will run with your advice.
Rob

Back