Foam during the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzorn

Reaction score
I made a "toffee" chocolate stout last night, and ran into something I haven't seen yet while brewing. First off, I'll detail what was in the pot.

1.8kg Muntons Irish Style Stout
1.0kg light DME (half of which was initially boiled in a small volume of water to carmalize)
0.25kg chocolate malt

The problem I had was that a nice thick foam formed during the boil, with a dark tan like colour. After I cooled off the brew I noticed that this foam was a little bit sparkly, much like you would see from soap bubbles, only the diameter of the bubbles were much smaller, as typical from the head of a beer. I don't think any detergent would have made its way over, but I'm afraid of new and unpredictable things, so I was wondering if I should be worrying about drinking soap in the next bottle.

I just brewed a vanilla caramel cream ale and I had the same thing. I had a lot of DME in the BK. I ended up having to kill the heat a few times on my propane burner to keep from boiling over.

Back