Foam and green stuff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftymcbeer

Reaction score
So I brewed a Pale Ale yesterday around 4 and when I went to check on it around 11 this morning there was a layer of foam blotched in large patches by green stuff. So my question obviously is, what is it?
img_02886854Thumb.jpg

img_02891943Thumb.jpg

It looks to me like
A: Krausen, the foam that comes with fermenting beer.
B: The green stuff is hop particles. Looks like you used pellet hops without a hop bag.

If so, it's nothing to worry about. After fermentation all of that sediment will drop to the bottom of your ferm vessel and be left behind when you siphon.

I have a Cali Common fermenting right now that looks a lot like that. The 1oz of Northern Brewer at flame out seem to be riding the krausen :ban:

Okay so now you've brought up a second question actually. Should I try to mix the hops "riding" the krausen back into the brew?

Oh and a third question lol. If I do mix the hops back in would it then be dry hopping by accident? :D

I would just leave it as is. Mixing the hops into the brew isn't going to do anything except increase the risk of infection since you'll have to take the airlock off while doing so.

Back