FNG here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustywrench

Reaction score
New to the forum. Did some home brewing 15 or so years ago. Life got in the way and I just kinda stopped. Getting back into it and thought I could maybe learn some new things here. Looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer.

Been using beer kits from Wind River. Just bottled 5 gal of Dunkel Wiesen today as well as 6 gallons from a Mangrove Jacks cider kit. Don't hammer on me for using kits. The nearest homebrew supply places are 3 hours away. Ive always been happy with Wind Rivers kits. Was the first time we have tried cider...... we shall see! I also tried Star San, a new fast rack and monster sanitizer injector..........WOW! what a bunch of time savers!!!!!!!!I always hated the time it took to sanitize and then rinse bottles when using bleach or idophor. Hoping it all works the way I have heard it does!

Been using beer kits from Wind River. Just bottled 5 gal of Dunkel Wiesen today as well as 6 gallons from a Mangrove Jacks cider kit. Don't hammer on me for using kits. The nearest homebrew supply places are 3 hours away. Ive always been happy with Wind Rivers kits. Was the first time we have tried cider...... we shall see! I also tried Star San, a new fast rack and monster sanitizer injector..........WOW! what a bunch of time savers!!!!!!!!I always hated the time it took to sanitize and then rinse bottles when using bleach or idophor. Hoping it all works the way I have heard it does!
Yep I thought StarSan and an injector where pretty awesome too after a 15 year hiatus! An autosiphon is also cool. Plenty of other goodies too...

FNG , Navy ? .... "ALL the ARMY , MARINE and AIR FORCE Vietnam Vets have now entered the chat" .:mischievous:
Chair Force? SmARMY? U.S. Navy, Junior Division (USMC)?

Just remember, three-fourths of the Earth’s surface is water, and the United States Navy holds superiority on it, under it, and above it. All the other branches are our ‘helpers’ whom we call on periodically so they can feel good about themselves while justifying their relative insignificance. 😉

As a navy brat who was born in San Diego and who watched Blue Angels flying over my house almost daily ( in F11F Tigers ) I would not argue with you ... thought someone else might and I could watch :popcorn: Haha .
My Father was a Sealab III Aquanaut and I'm a saturation diver and have seen the bottom of most of the earths oceans over the years .
But this thread is for RustyWrench so I apologize for derailing it ... Welcome again FNG :mug:

As a navy brat who was born in San Diego and who watched Blue Angels flying over my house almost daily ( in F11F Tigers ) I would not argue with you ... thought someone else might and I could watch :popcorn: Haha .
My Father was a Sealab III Aquanaut and I'm a saturation diver and have seen the bottom of most of the earths oceans over the years .
But this thread is for RustyWrench so I apologize for derailing it ... Welcome again FNG :mug:

My first ride in a Navy jet was the immediate predecessor to the F11F "Tiger", the TF-9J "Cougar" which I believe the 'Blues also flew for a brief time. Sounds like you and your father have had some exciting experiences. "Join the Navy and See the World" takes on all new meaning when you consider the many remarkable things you and I and all our shipmates have seen and experienced on/below/above this marvelous blue marble. And, Aye Matey, it was a worthy hijack.

"Say Hello to the New Guy..." Indeed!

No, not former to any branch. I did spend one summer season in Antarctica as a contractor.VXE6 did all the flying down there. I beleive that is where I picked up that little bit of slang. I also spent 5 years In Iraq as a contractor.

No, not former to any branch. I did spend one summer season in Antarctica as a contractor.VXE6 did all the flying down there. I beleive that is where I picked up that little bit of slang. I also spent 5 years In Iraq as a contractor.

I had a couple of Navy shipmates who did disassociated sea tours flying C-130s with VXE-6 between "Chi-chi" (Christchurch, NZ) and Antarctica. "Rickety-rack, to The Pole and back." Not a highly career-enhancing assignment, but what an exclusively unique flying opportunity. I would have loved to have done it.

Sorry to have stepped on your post. Welcome aboard!

I had a couple of Navy shipmates who did disassociated sea tours flying C-130s with VXE-6 between "Chi-chi" (Christchurch, NZ) and Antarctica. "Rickety-rack, to The Pole and back." Not a highly career-enhancing assignment, but what an exclusively unique flying opportunity. I would have loved to have done it.

You absolutely did not step on my post. I enjoyed every minute of that opportunity to go there.And enjoy talking to folks that have a clue what it is all about. Us civilians called Christchurch "Cheech" and I spent 2 weeks there on my way home from the "ice". Was a great vacation after a great job! I developed a love of C130's after my stint down there. I got to ride out and back to a field camp 700 miles from the pole in one and and returned to Cheech from Mcmurdo after my stint was done. I have since referred to them as "flying duece and a halves".

Thank you for your service!

You did not derail my thread. I love hearing peoples stories

My first ride in a Navy jet was the immediate predecessor to the F11F "Tiger", the TF-9J "Cougar" which I believe the 'Blues also flew for a brief time. Sounds like you and your father have had some exciting experiences. "Join the Navy and See the World" takes on all new meaning when you consider the many remarkable things you and I and all our shipmates have seen and experienced on/below/above this marvelous blue marble. And, Aye Matey, it was a worthy hijack.

"Say Hello to the New Guy..." Indeed!
Thank you for your service!!!!

You absolutely did not step on my post. I enjoyed every minute of that opportunity to go there.And enjoy talking to folks that have a clue what it is all about. Us civilians called Christchurch "Cheech" and I spent 2 weeks there on my way home from the "ice". Was a great vacation after a great job! I developed a love of C130's after my stint down there. I got to ride out and back to a field camp 700 miles from the pole in one and and returned to Cheech from Mcmurdo after my stint was done. I have since referred to them as "flying duece and a halves".
Yeah, that Herc is one heck of an airplane. My first Navy flight instructor at NAS Saufley Field was a Marine Corps Captain who flew “Fat Albert”, the Blue Angels’ flying support ship for the air shows. I never flew the Herc but did spend a lot of stick time in its Lockheed “stable mate” P-3 Orion (A, B and C variants), among a variety of other Navy aircraft. Good times, fantastic shipmates.

Drank a lot of beer. *(see Mods, no thread drift).

“It was my honor and privilege to have served.”

glad you retired to beating up InBev or in other words....

1675135808336.png

And I still don't know what FNG stands for...

But Welcome, Rustywrench... :mug:

New to the forum. Did some home brewing 15 or so years ago. Life got in the way and I just kinda stopped. Getting back into it and thought I could maybe learn some new things here. Looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer.
Ok... to stay ON TOPIC:
@Rustywrench welcome back! I started after you quit... but if you think StarSan is cool, check out:
All the new dry yeast styles!
Canned wort for yeast starters!
All the new liquid yeasts!
All the new larger sizes of liquid yeasts!
All the new models of stainless fermentors at all kinds of price points!
All the All In Ones!

As far kits... go for it! Beer is fun! Enjoy it!

Ok... :off: now....

I LOVE being an American.
To watch the 5 branches talk trash to each other makes me laugh, AND appreciate that when stuff gets real- all thoose brave men and women turn that grief to the enemy and work as one. And man oh man do they blow stuff up and scare people.

@bracconiere F.N.G. is, i think: Freakin' New Guy
Substitute Freakin' for... well... they say it a lot in the armed forces and my 8th grade gym class.

Back