Fly vs. Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Do most people see a difference in efficiency between batch and fly sparging. I would assume some of this(or a lot)would be due to sparging technique, but in theory, same grain bill, same water, keeping other variables the same, would there be a significant difference? And if so, what would be different? More sugars washed out with one particular style? Thanks in advance.

Also I have heard that mashing with higher volumes of water leas to better efficiency, true?

It's not so simple but to sum it up, I'm relatively certain that I can achieve 90% efficiency with either method if I strove to do so. I deliberately keep efficiency in the low to mid 80's on purpose so that I don't reduce wort quality.

No difference.

Higher water/grain ratios will give you a more fermentable wort and possibly more protein. May or may not change the efficiency.

I'm with Bobby on this. The point isn't to get as high as possible, but to get a GOOD number and know that you are getting this repeatedly, so that your calculations are accurate. Extracting too high will usually mean extracting unwanted flavors and things.

Having a good efficiency means you are getting your money worth in ingredients, but you want to know if you are getting the best beer out of it too.

I'm with Bobby on this. The point isn't to get as high as possible, but to get a GOOD number and know that you are getting this repeatedly, so that your calculations are accurate. Extracting too high will usually mean extracting unwanted flavors and things.

Having a good efficiency means you are getting your money worth in ingredients, but you want to know if you are getting the best beer out of it too.

That makes total sense, thanks everyone!

Back