Fly sparging on a eHERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccollu

Reaction score
I have a 3 vessel HERMS system and I fly sparge. I have never worried about the amount of sparge water that I transfer from the HLT because I've only been concerned about hitting my boil volume. My question is whether this is the better process, or would I increase my extraction by only sparging with the appropriate volume so the MT is left with less water in it?

Last edited:
NVM. I couldn't find this question previously, but just found it after I posted.

OP wrote: "I've only been concerned about hitting my by volume". I think this is mostly fine. The wort coming out the bottom won't be much affected by somewhat more or less water on the top of the mash. Only time I've worried is when the runoff leans toward astringency before the target volume is in the kettle - kind of the opposite concern.

I have a 3 vessel HERMS system and I fly sparge. I have never worried about the amount of sparge water that I transfer from the HLT because I've only been concerned about hitting my by volume. My question is whether this is the better process, or would I increase my extraction by only sparging with the appropriate volume so the MT is left with less water in it?
I do the same thing and use the extra wort that drains from the mash after reaching my final amount for making yeast, you have to boil it separately for 15 minutes and it saves me from buying DME

Back