Fly Sparge Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
I hope I'm not way off topic here, but in Brewsmith, is there a place to set up a fly sparge?Is it where it has a check box that says "Batch sparge with batches that fill"? If so wonder why they didn't just call it Fly Sparge? geeesh Prolly to keep noobs like me corn-fused!

Learning brewing terminology is half the battle when homebrewing. Fly sparging is slowly adding hot water to the mash tun while simultaneously draining it at the same rate. With batch sparging you drain the tun and then add another volume of water and repeat the draining. I do not and have never done a batch sparge, so I am not intimately familiar with the process or the possible options. I think some add additional water (boiling) before the first run off. This approximates a mash out. Others do a no sparge mash which IIRC is just the addition of boiling water for the mash out plus a little more then running that off without refilling and draining the MT. This is supposed to yield a higher quality wort at the expense of efficiency. I plan to try a no sparge session sometime just to see if there is a major difference.

Back