Fly in the ointment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
So I was all excited that I scored this nice freezer to use as a fermentation chamber.. In great condition, newer model, upright, 17 cubic foot.. $36...

I just got through loading it into the house, and figured I'd remove the shelves and stick a couple cornys in there...

RuhRoh!

The cooling coils run through each shelf! What now?

How hard is it to cut these out and relocate/resolder them? Worse yet, what about recharging the system?

A quick search yields many threads on this subject. Here is one of many:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/freezer-conversion-coils-shelves-136689/

Thanks, I'll try that.. Although the shelf tines themselves are soldered to each and every place they cross the coil.. So this ought to be fun... I see hand cramps in my future! LOL

I'm also going to have to cut away the molded plastic shelf supports, and probably fill them back in... Too bad my some day brew shed isn't built.. I'd just build a bigger insulated box off the front of it... and move the door..

I've had one of these freezers (coolant lines in the shelves) for many years (before homebrewing.) When I started brewing I briefly considered using it until I realized the situation you are dealing with. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything you can safely do about it. Bending the shelves has definitely worked for some people, but looked just about impossible with my unit due to it's design. I've kept mine as our main freezer (for food), and bought other units for my chamber & kegerator.

Definitely wish you the best of luck though if you decided to go ahead with bending. Personally, I'd suggest swapping it for a better suited model.

IMO, you have four options available:

1. Bend only the lowest shelf to make room for a single bucket or carboy. I did this long ago without much difficulty. Don't worry about minor kinks in the tubing supplying the coils.
2. It may be possible to place kegs horizontally on the shelves without doing any modifications. One keg per shelf and the kegs will probably need to be placed diagonally.
3. Build out an extension on the front as you mentioned. That's the way I would go if I were in the same situation.
4. Use the freezer for food and hop storage. Find another more suitable freezer.

I'm almost through bending the top two out of the way.. Cutting away the plastic extrusions is the biggest PITA.. as I'm using a harbor freight dremel, and the load is a little heavy for it.. So it gets hot and I have to set it down for a while to cool... then while cutting the plastic melts and gets wrapped around the dremel shaft and eventually melts the cutting disc... So I've gone through three of them so far.. I think I have enough of the shelf wires cut from the coils to make it work once I get the plastic out of the way.. Most of the way done with all that... Then I can tie wrap the coils up, plug it in and make sure everything works..

IMO, you have four options available:

I thought of a fifth:

Craig's List - for sale, 1 17cu ft Freezer. Works great. $50 firm.
(xxx) xxx-xxxx

Oh crap!

I'm almost through bending the top two out of the way.. Cutting away the plastic extrusions is the biggest PITA...

Craig's List - for sale, 1 17cu ft Freezer. Works great. slightly bent shelving. $15 firm.
(xxx) xxx-xxxx

Success! (I think).. Top two shelves tucked neatly against back, and tie wrapped in place... No kinks or cracks that I can see, and I heard no escaping gas.. So now it's plugged in and I wait to make sure it still gets cold and stays that way... So I'll leave it on until the temp control arrives... And by then I'll know if there's any tiny leaks or what not..

Later, if I want there's still room to drop the lowest shelf down 8" or so, which will allow me to build plywood shelves and get two more 6.5G carboys in there.. or several cornys..

Sweet! I think I dodged the bullet!
It's definitely getting cold in there!

Pictures please!!

Here ya go! LOL

ferment_chamber_02.jpg

ferment_chamber_01.jpg

Back