Flunked my first competition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Looks like I just flunked my first competition :(

I was going to enter my Dunkel and my Doppelbock into the Boston Homebrew Competion that is in March. I knew that the drop-off deadline is on Wesdnesday, but totally overlooked that there was an entry deadline at the beginning of February. But that time I didn't even know what I want to enter. The on-line entry form was still open, but I doubt they will accept my entries.

Oh well, looks like a I have a few more bottles for myself. :mug:

Kai

You can submit your entries directly to me. I will consume them and judge them accordingly. Word. :D

's okay, really...there's always the NHBC...

Kai, call up the modern homebrew emporium in cambridge, the guy who works there knows the head of the Wort's the homebrew club that sponsors the event, perhaps they can slip your beer into the pile.

Donasay said:
Kai, call up the modern homebrew emporium in cambridge, the guy who works there knows the head of the Wort's the homebrew club that sponsors the event, perhaps they can slip your beer into the pile.

No, I don't think I'll go that route. I replied to the confirmation e-mail saying that I wasn't aware of the earlier deadline. If they still accept them great. If not, I will take my $12 and buy some good commercial examples and evaluate them myself.

Fact is, that I think they are good beers, but I feel that they are still not as good as some of the beers I get in Germany. And that is my goal. I either find out that even the good German beers are not as good as I remember (unlikely), that I reached the limits of what a hombebrewer can do (regardless of the effort put into the process) or that I have to keep tweaking my process (that's what I'm hoping for).

I feel that I'm now at a point where I have to go back to the books and also taste some more commercial examples to get the beer exactly where I want it. In particular it is the finish of my beers that doesn't feel right. There is this slight dusty taste that used to be much worse but still appears occasionally. Even though I'm sure that I take great care to make shure I don't get astringency from the grains. And the beers don't seem as well rounded as I want them to be.

I wish I could take my beers to a German brewmaster, have him taste them, and get his opinion. But I could also be just paranoid since I haven't had good examples of German beers in a while. That's why the trip to Germany will be so important for me.

Kai

If the entry deadline is Wednesday, then they aren't done sorting and cataloging entries. If they aren't done sorting and cataloging entries, I don't know why they would accept yours, unless they just don't like to receive entry fees. Do check and see if there is a late entry fee, though.

TL

I don't want to ship the beer, as this gets rather expensive. I found it convienient to just drop them off at my LHBS. I guess the next comp for me might be SA Longshot. I'll have different beers though.

Kai

I just got an e-mail back and they fixed the rules. Drop-off and entry deadline is now on Wednesday. So I'm in.

Kai

bigjohnmilford said:
I wouldn't say that flunked is the correct term. Dropped the ball maybe.

I was wondering about that as well. Generally I'm pretty hesitant to start using words where I don't exactly know that they have the correct meaning. I even checked on-line. Well looks like I have to ask my wife for explanation of "flunked" tonght. Or watch the Word-Girl episode on "flunked" on PBS (an animated educational show that my 4-yr old watches).

Kai

"Flunked" means that you failed at something, usually a test or class. "Flunked" almost exclusively refers to receiving a failing grade, although that grade can be literal or figurative. It's quite common among school-aged kids, at least it was when I was school-aged. :) For example:

"I flunked Geometry," meaning I received a failing grade in Geometry class.

"I flunked my driver's test," meaning I received a failing grade on my driver's test.

"Man, I sure flunked football today," meaning I played poorly at football, such that I would receive a failing grade, if I had been graded.

TL

Back