Florida temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjm06

Reaction score
Hey guys

I just started brewing and became addicted quickly. I've been reading this site for a while now and it has really helped. I currently have a chocolate milk stout in the secondary and was wondering how temperature changes throughout the day can affect the beer. I live in Florida and the temperatures can greatly change especially when I do not have the a/c on. I keep the beer in my closet and it usually stays around 75 but does increase at certain times. Should I worry about this?

Thanks

Don't worry about it. It's a hobby, you'll make beer, so don't worry.

You can make better beer by controlling the temps though. Fluctuations don't matter so much, but almost all beers are better when fermented in the 60's. Lagers much lower.

I'm just starting to have trouble with temps...I tried to get my beer fridge as warm as it could go but apparently the damn thing wont go above 40. I'll be searching for ideas too in the near future.

One of those party tubs with the rope handles with water. Use frozen bottles of water and a towel/blanket to keep the temp lower than ambient. If you're too cold, add bottles of hot water.

I agree with the above posts. If you want to start controlling your temperature of fermentation (which is recommended), you can do it pretty cheaply by what petey mentioned. Place the fermenter into a large cooler or bathtub and keep the water temperature of the cooler/tub stable by using frozen soda bottles or ice packs. Check the temperature of the cooler/tub daily with a cheap thermometer and add/remove frozen bottles to adjust temperature if necessary.

I'd disagree with the swamp cooler. For $50 you can get a chest freezer (I got my first one, a 15.8cuft for $60). For another 25-$50 you can get/put together a temp controller for it. Now you've got a killer solution that doesn't require towels, frozen bottles, etc, and one day can be your kegerator.

Well, you asked about fluctuations in temperature and I don't think anyone answered you. I don't have a ton of info on this but it is my understanding that fluctuations in temp add to yeast strain and that can make fermentation less than ideal. However, I don't believe your wort is going to change temperature as quickly as your house (because of the high specific heat of water), so those effects will be mitigated. Overall, its something that would be nice to control in an ideal environment but not one that I would focus on too much.

I think its much more important to focus on healthy yeast. Making sure they are young, well oxygenated and pitched in the right numbers.

I'm just starting to have trouble with temps...I tried to get my beer fridge as warm as it could go but apparently the damn thing wont go above 40. I'll be searching for ideas too in the near future.

You need to get a temperature controller that has a remote sensor that you put inside your refrigerator (taped to the side of your fermenter with insulation over it so you control the temperature of the wort, not the temperature of the air in the refrigerator) that the refrigerator plugs into. Set the refrigerator temperature control as you would if it had food in it and let the other controller decide when it should run.

TarheelBrew13 said:
Well, you asked about fluctuations in temperature and I don't think anyone answered you. I don't have a ton of info on this but it is my understanding that fluctuations in temp add to yeast strain and that can make fermentation less than ideal. However, I don't believe your wort is going to change temperature as quickly as your house (because of the high specific heat of water), so those effects will be mitigated. Overall, its something that would be nice to control in an ideal environment but not one that I would focus on too much.

I think its much more important to focus on healthy yeast. Making sure they are young, well oxygenated and pitched in the right numbers.

Ok this makes sense thanks!

I have a somewhat related question that maybe you guys can help with.

I bought a digital temp controller that I am currently using on an old freezer. I'm trying to bring the temperature up to the 60s, but when I do this the door to the freezer doesn't stay shut anymore. Apparently something with the cold air created suction for the door to stay closed.

What would you recommend I do? I thought about magnetic stripping to keep the door closed... would this work or would it let too much air in/out?

I live in the Tampa area. The temps are crappy for fermentation temps, but ideal for mashing temps. While the cats up in MN struggle to hold a 152 degree mash in the artic tundra, we can maintain mash temps and quick boil temps with no problems.

With the fermentation, though, I know from experience that you WILL get off flavors from an ambient FL fermentation.

When I first started out, I did extract batches and fermented in my closet at about a 73-74F ambient temp. The bad news is this will almost always lead to dicetyl and fusel alcohol off flavors. The good new is that I figured out after a few batches that these off flavors can always be conditioned out, if you have the patience. An extra 4-6 weeks (total of 6-8 weeks) of conditioning at about 70F in an interior closet usually does the trick.

HOWEVER, I did finally lose my patience, switched to AG brewing, and procured a glass front beverage cooler off craigslist for $125. I popped a Johnson A419 ($55.00) on that puppy, and now I have very good temp control plus a pretty blingy glass front fermentor. Temp control definitely is the single best thing I've done to improve the quality of my beer, so I'd recommend it to anyone who has the space. Like someone else said, you can do the same thing with a $50 craigslist chest freezer and a $29.00 Ebay Aquarium temp controller.

Good luck, FL brewer!

TopherM said:
I live in the Tampa area. The temps are crappy for fermentation temps, but ideal for mashing temps. While the cats up in MN struggle to hold a 152 degree mash in the artic tundra, we can maintain mash temps and quick boil temps with no problems.

With the fermentation, though, I know from experience that you WILL get off flavors from an ambient FL fermentation.

When I first started out, I did extract batches and fermented in my closet at about a 73-74F ambient temp. The bad news is this will almost always lead to dicetyl and fusel alcohol off flavors. The good new is that I figured out after a few batches that these off flavors can always be conditioned out, if you have the patience. An extra 4-6 weeks (total of 6-8 weeks) of conditioning at about 70F in an interior closet usually does the trick.

HOWEVER, I did finally lose my patience, switched to AG brewing, and procured a glass front beverage cooler off craigslist for $125. I popped a Johnson A419 ($55.00) on that puppy, and now I have very good temp control plus a pretty blingy glass front fermentor. Temp control definitely is the single best thing I've done to improve the quality of my beer, so I'd recommend it to anyone who has the space. Like someone else said, you can do the same thing with a $50 craigslist chest freezer and a $29.00 Ebay Aquarium temp controller.

Good luck, FL brewer!

Thank you! Yeah I'm currently just doing extracts. Where do you get your supplies from??

This is how I do it...I bought mine chest freezer new after having issues with a used one I bought. This is the best thing I have done yet for my beer.

2011-09-19 14.44.49.jpg

2011-09-19 14.45.08.jpg

Thank you! Yeah I'm currently just doing extracts. Where do you get your supplies from??

I typically just go to my LHBS here in St. Petersburg, but will also occationally buy online from Austin Homebrew, William's Brewing, Northern Brewer, or Midwest Brewers. All great online stores with very fresh ingredients.

TopherM said:
I typically just go to my LHBS here in St. Petersburg, but will also occationally buy online from Austin Homebrew, William's Brewing, Northern Brewer, or Midwest Brewers. All great online stores with very fresh ingredients.

Where is the store in st Pete? I'm actually going to be up there tomorrow

Beer and Winemaker's Pantry
9200 66th Street Pinellas Park, FL 33782

These guys honestly don't know that much about homebrewing beer, they are really winemaking experts, so I wouldn't trust their advise, but they do have a great selection of homebrew grains and hops at good prices!

What's your normal cold tap water temperature down there?
Up here ours is usually 55 degrees or lower. I am working on running my water line through an insulated box to make a cooler for my kegs and maybe doing some lagers.
If it is warmer down there it might work for fermenting.

I live near Orlando and definately agree that temp control makes a big difference. I made a ferm chamber out of styrofoam sheets, computer fan and a $25 digital thermostat from Home Depot. Works great. Keeps temp of beer within +/- 1F of set temperature. The main advantage is it takes very little additional space compared to the fermenter alone. It's easy to build and cheep. The only disadvantage is you have to swap frozen ice bottles out from your freezer about twice a day. I have found that the temp is most critical for the first 2-3 days. After that I turn off the controller and let it free rise and condition at room temp with no off flavors. A chest freezer is definately more hands free, but if space is limited, the styrofoam ferm chamber works great. I can even ferment lagers at 50F with it. I have been using mine for about two years with no problems. Search for "Son of Fermentation Chamber". Good luck.

one thing not discussed is that there are certain types of beer that SHOULD be fermented at warmer temps. Look into that and start making those until you are better able to control temps.

I am another FL resident looking to start home brewing. I cant seem to find which kinds of beers like warmer fermentation temps using the forum search tools. Can anyone turn me on to some?

Thanks!

Many of us have an extra fridge in our basements or garage. You don't need to buy a chest freezer if you have an extra fridge. Simply put any foods from the second fridge into your main fridge for a week or so while you use the second fridge as a temp controlled fermentation chamber. $30-$50 for a temp controller and you are good to go. This is hands down the best improvement for my beer so far.

yeah - I have big plans for a temp controlled fermentation chamber but I think building it and paying for it before my first brew session would be putting the cart before the horse a little bit.

For the time being, I want to at least research my options for warmer fermenting brews. Either that or wait for fall.

yeah - I have big plans for a temp controlled fermentation chamber but I think building it and paying for it before my first brew session would be putting the cart before the horse a little bit.

For the time being, I want to at least research my options for warmer fermenting brews. Either that or wait for fall.

This thread went back and forth and a lot of directions, but I think you missed the reply that told you by far the simplest cheapest solution.

Walmart: $8.00 plastic tub with nylon rope handles:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Rope-Handle-Tub-Blue/19400074

Put bucket or carboy in tub. Fill it with water to the level of your beer. Wrap it with a blanket and add frozen water bottles a couple times a day for the first 3 days or so then once a day for 2-3 weeks.

Problem solved and you don't have to resign yourself to drinking warm temp brewed beers.

:mug:

cheapest solution is a swamp cooler. I got it.

Now can someone help me out with the types of beers that can handle a warmer fermenting temperature?

Now can someone help me out with the types of beers that can handle a warmer fermenting temperature?

Saisons will do real well from what I've gathered. the Belgian strains (vs. the french) seem to do real well in the mid 80's

also wheat beers like Hefeweizen's and other such sundry beers do well in the low 70's

i hope you don't think you're limited to certain styles of beer simply because you're a florida brewer. i've only experienced one batch with off flavors due to heat, and i didn't employ any type of temp control.

i suggest you get acquainted well with Safale US-05 yeast at least until you get a more solid grasp on temp control. it is very reliable and can stand the temperatures of florida. its desired fermentation temperature range is between 60-75F, but i would do my best to keep it under 72.

swamp coolers work great. so does ice, wet t-shirts (giggity), fans, and cool water.

I agree that until you get a good temp control that Safale US-05 is your freind. I brewed many batches without temp control of any sort except an interior closet with ambient temps in the low to mid 70's depending on time of year. I found when I would try other yeast I would get off flavors but good ol' US-05 always gave me nice tasty brews. I've had good results with pale ales, IPA's, Brown Ales, Stout, American Wheat, Summer Ale, etc. Try to plan your batches to make your cleaner flavor profile beers till the cooler months when room temp is lower. Also as mentioned look at Saison's that the yeast strain likes the warmer temps.

Now that I have a freezer with Johnson Control I'm useing the hell out of some more interesting yeast though. But untill you get to that point you can make good beer in Florida.

Thanks for the advice on the US-05 and the saisons. So if I order an extract kit from midwest or somewhere like that, should i order some US-05 yeast and use it in place of the yeast that comes with the kit? I think I have seen some websites where they sell kits and yeast separately. Maybe that is the way to go.

How much trouble can I get in if I order one of these kits and swap the yeast?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the advice on the US-05 and the saisons. So if I order an extract kit from midwest or somewhere like that, should i order some US-05 yeast and use it in place of the yeast that comes with the kit? I think I have seen some websites where they sell kits and yeast separately. Maybe that is the way to go.

How much trouble can I get in if I order one of these kits and swap the yeast?

Thanks for the help.

for a saison you want to keep the yeast it comes with. they use very specific Saison yeasts that are essential for the brew. A saison yeast thrives in a hot environment so there shouldn't be any need to swap that one out.

I think he meant to brew Saisons, OR use US-05 in other styles. Saisons are meant to be fermented hot, so saison yeast is your friend in a hot climate. That, and the US-05 is forgiving enough of warm temperatures to allow you to brew other styles without the expense and hassle of a temperature controlled fermentation chamber.

sorry not to be specific enough...

So with the saison - keep the yeast it comes with. Got it.

With other ale recipie extract kits, am I safe to swap the OS-05 yeast in place of the supplied yeast that comes with the kit or can I get in trouble doing that? Or does it depend specifically which recipie kit I am considering?

Thanks again.

US-05 will work well in MOST American and British beer styles, such as IPA, APA, Porter, Stout, Brown ale, ESB and so on... some Belgian yeasts (like saison) work well in warmer temperatures. German styles often require specialized yeast, and should probably be brewed in cooler weather conditions.

US-05 is a very versatile, "clean-fermenting" yeast and will allow you to make a wide variety of beer styles in warmer weather without too much effort or expense in temperature control. Just remember that if the fermentation temperature gets much above 72 degrees, the beer will require a couple of months of aging to reach peak flavor. It works well when warm, but works even better in the mid to high 60's.

thanks seth. I have a swamp cooler put together and plan to run some tests to see what temperature I can maintain.

Still the cheapest way to control fermentation temperatures is with a swamp cooler.

Using yeast that can tolerate higher temperatures is helpful but, if you want to use different yeasts for different flavor profiles a swamp cooler will work to control the temperatures.

I am in Estero.

I made sure I had temp control for my fermentation before I did my first brew.

Right - this is what I am currently doing. Gathering the necessary equipment and gearing up for the first brew. Researching and trying to make sure that I have the essential bases covered.

Keeping the temperature under control will make you better beer but you don't have to keep it cool for very long. Once that first fast part is over you can let the temperature rise with no off flavors which is why it is often suggested that you use a tub and bottles of ice to keep it cool. It's cheap and you only have to worry for about 3 days for most ales of average OG. Lagers are a different brew and temperature control is the key to making them.

Back