Quantcast

Floaties

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kevinito78610

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but here goes....

I bottled my first batch a few weeks ago. I know some floaties are normal but what is considered too much? The beers towards the end of the bottling cycle have ALOT of sediment. Are they throw aways? or should I just be real careful when pouring?:mug:

RichBrewer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean by floaties? If you get a little sediment into the bottling bucket that won't hurt anything. Even if some gets into a bottle or two it will settle out. Now stuff that is floating I'm not to sure about.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I've let too much sediment into my bottling bucket before- so some bottles had a lot of sediment and others had the typical light dusting of spent yeast. The ones with too much sediment I drank at home (with no effects- ill or otherwise- that I could tell) The rest I let be seen by the general public.
Throwing beer away is alcohol abuse- I bet you made nothing worse than a few bottles of ugly beer.

In a related but developing story- I brewed a honey wheat that had a lot of sediment in the primary that never did settle fully- Some around here suggested that it could be wax, etc. Now, in the secondary- I notice that some of the stuff is still floating. I plan to avoid it when racking to the bucket. I'll let it sit a while and should any "Floaties" arise- I'll scoop them out with a sanitized spoon- or perhaps some other more creative utensil. (karate Kid was on last night).

OP
K

kevinito78610

Reaction score
Yeah its just sediment. When the bottle is agitated they become "floaties". Im hoping it will taste fine. But with it being my first batch I think I will wait to show it off.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I bet that it will taste fine, and that you end up showing at least some of it off. I have not been doing this long- but after over a dozen batches of brew- I've never had things go 100% according to plan.
Was the primary plastic? thats why I did what you did. I use mostly glass- with the exception of the ease of cleaning- I find it way better than plastic- (just my opinion)

OP
K

kevinito78610

Reaction score
Actually with it being my first time, I used a Mr. Beer kit. OKAY OKAY stop laughing.
So yes the primary and only fermentor was plastic. I am upgrading and getting a real brewkit this Friday from Austin Homebrew. So I will be considering this next batch my real first batch.

OP
K

kevinito78610

Reaction score
Okay I broke down and chilled a bottle when I got off work today. I just popped it open and its not bad at all. If this is what I can do woth a Mr.Beer kit I cant wait to see what I do with a real set up. I am kind of proud of my self!:ban:

Nyxator

Reaction score
Congrats on your first brew! I have a sneaking suspicion you bottled a little early, which is understandable.

Either way, make sure you take a final gravity measurement before you bottle to make sure the fermentation is done.