Floaters in some of my bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
2nd batch... I bottled my beer 7 days ago and now I have some floating pieces of crud in some of my bottles (not many, maybe 2-3 out of 44 bottles). Will this stuff settle to the bottom with time, or is this a sign of a possible infection?

It's probably the same type of yeast floaties that you'll find in your fermenter. It should settle out after you give the proper time to prime and then cool it for a few days.

The exception would be if you primed with carb tabs, they tend to leave floaties that won't go away.

Don't feel bad. I have a dos equis clone that has crap floating in it after 3 weeks in the bottle. I just put one in the fridge to test and see if it is anywhere close and if the crap will settle.

I had some stuff that looked like hop remnants in one batch floating around, maybe small pieces of stem. Not enough to worry about.

If it is only in 2 or 3 bottles, then you have an experiment on hand. Do a tasting with and without the floaters, see if there is any difference.

Back