Float switch for HERMS/sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of buying or building a float switch for my HERMS setup and to help control my sparge.

Morebeer has this one http://morebeer.com/product_images/1/4492.jpg for sale for $99, but it looks very similar to an aquarium float switch that costs around $50, with the exception it has a malleable, bendable arm (which is highly desirable).

Anyone ever use one of these things? It looks like it should work pretty effectively.

I'm considering looking for the parts to possibly build one of these, but I've been having trouble locating all the components.

Thanks.

I'm likely going to incorporate something similar into my automated mash system. Most likely I'll use a level sensor like the ones listed here.

I don't see why a float switch wouldn't work, but I wouldn't pay that much for one. There are some cheaper ones toward the bottom of the page I linked to. You could also make your own - it wouldn't be that difficult.

Yuri_Rage said:
I don't see why a float switch wouldn't work, but I wouldn't pay that much for one. There are some cheaper ones toward the bottom of the page I linked to. You could also make your own - it wouldn't be that difficult.

That's kinda what I thought. I do like the feature of the bendable arm on the one from B3, but I'm sure I can engineer something similar or something that does the same job.

Like I said, I've also seen aquarium top off float switches that would work, but they weren't as adjustable.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm likely going to incorporate something similar into my automated mash system. Most likely I'll use a level sensor like the ones listed here.

The other thing that crossed my mind is heat tolerance on these switches. I'd hate to fry something because I stuck it in 170 degree water.

Its probably a non-issue, but thought I'd throw that out there.

considered using the vertical mount polypropolyene float with soft copper tube support that could be bent to adjust float level. switches appear to be priced around $20 or less online and most are capable of operation to near boiling temps.

Latest posts

Back