Float issue on king keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edders

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a brew entering its second week of secondary fermentation in a king keg with the top tap system . I wanted to see what it was like so turned the tap but only the gas escaped and to my dismay, no beer! Turns out I had put the float round the wrong way. ( Don't drink too much beer whilst kegging! ) So I rectified the float and topped it up with some co2. Beer is now flowing. Hallelujah. Unfortunately the beer is completely flat now. I'm worried it's not going to carbonate enough. Should I add some more sugar or has that boat sailed already ? Or do I just suck it up and hope for the best ? Any response gratefully recieved. Thanks.

I'd add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of sugar to carbonate. At two weeks your yeast have already consumed all the available sugar.

Thanks for your response, It's not quite 2 weeks, its 10 days. Does the beer not absorb the co2 that I inject? Will there be enough active yeast to restart the carbonation process ? Sorry I'm fairly new to all this. TIA

I don't know much about the King Keg, but typically fermentation is done in a week. The second week of fermentation is more for yeast to clean up. If you want to naturally carbonate at that point, you need to add more sugar. 3/4 cup for 5 gallons gives me a real good basis for carbonation. I naturally carbonate most of my kegs so that is my point of reference. I use Corny kegs so I don't know how the King Kegs work. Make sure you keep it at room temp for another week to carbonate. If it is still flat, you probably have a CO2 leak on your keg.

Back