Fliptop Aging?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Chipperjones

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time mead making. I did 2 pounds of honey, 1 orange sliced, and 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient in 1 gallon of water (I realise now that I should have used more honey, but I was following a recipe on the internet) using Lalvin D-47. I put it straight into my primary 1 Gallon carboy and was planning to not rack it but immediately bottle it after around 2 1/2 weeks, no stirring. My question is, how long is it fine to age in flip top bottles?
I bought these
Amazon.com: YEBODA 12 oz Amber Glass Beer Bottles for Home Brewing with Flip Caps, Case of 9: Kitchen & Dining

A few months? No more than a year? Longer than a year? I figured it would be kinda fun to store one bottle in a back closet and drink it many years later beings its my first attempt. I wasn't sure how the rubber seals would hold up though?

Last edited:

Brett_Bellmore

Me and my better half.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on long term storage in flip tops, but was thinking of dipping them in wax as a backup for the ones I pack away. So far my batches have been too small to leave enough to pack away like that, though.

I've had no problem with them out to a year, and I guess the rubber should survive a decade or more if kept out of direct sunlight.