Flip Top Bottles filled from a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
Hello.

I keg all my beer.

I live in Texas and I heading out to Baton Rouge, LA for a little vacation. That is my home town and I want to go party with the locals since the TIGERS won the BCS.

Anyway. I want to bring some beer for my father to taste but I will not have a ton of room for a corny.

Can I just buy some liter or .5 liter flip top bottles and fill them up from the keg? How long will they last like this ?

I do it all the time with my Growler... and I assume it is the same principle. But I drink that damm growler in one sitting :cross:

Thanks

Have a look at this thread.

Just filling the bottles is ok if they are going to be consumed within a few hours. Anything beyond that will require a more sophisticated filling method.

Yep, use the BMBF. It will work fine with the flip top bottles. I also use the Carbonator Caps. Put one on a couple of two liter PET pop bottles, and you are instantly popular at parties. :D

I like the Carb top idea.

I just thought the flip top bottle idea would be pretty cool and reusable.

My growler works pretty well it is 2 little and lasts a couple of hours.

Ed... I am guess the Carb Caps last as long as you need them... since they are air tight.

I like that idea... I am looking for more of a bulk solution... for a party.. a couple of litters would be nice.. to pour from.

T

Thinking about this more...

Why if BM method basicly lets you bottle the beer and put a cap on it.

Do the flip tops not keep the pressure like a bottle cap?

Do bottlers never just use the flip tops?

The carbo caps work great for going to friends when you drink the beer right away. You can vent the bottle and then zap it with 20# of CO2 and it will stya carbed for a long time.

They come in great for bringing your brew to BYO restaraunts too!

EdWort said:
The carbo caps work great for going to friends when you drink the beer right away. You can vent the bottle and then zap it with 20# of CO2 and it will stya carbed for a long time.
True dat! You can even carb your beer that way...purge the air by squeezing, hit it with Co2, shake it up a bit (and watch the bottle collapse in on itself!) and hit it again. Repeat a few times, and you're good to go.

I love my carb caps. So do my co-workers. :D

Like the Salt Lick?

EdWort said:

They come in great for bringing your brew to BYO restaraunts too!

AHS does not look like they have carb caps.

Does someone have a link and a link for some PET bottles?

I've made my own carb caps for $2.50 each. Go down to a car parts megamart like Pep Boys, Napa, etc and get some all metal tire fill valves. Install them into the caps of any old soda bottle (one and two liter bottles are interchangeable). You'll then need an inexpensive tire fill fitting and attach it to your co2 line. I have one permanently installed in my kegger.

In any case, I can't imagine paying $13 a piece for the carb caps. The tire valve thing is so cheap I don't really mind if I leave the bottle at the party by accident.

Bobby_M said:
In any case, I can't imagine paying $13 a piece for the carb caps. The tire valve thing is so cheap I don't really mind if I leave the bottle at the party by accident.
Yeah, they are overpriced, but also very convenient. They come off the bottle, and right into my pocket!

I seldom bring more than two large soda bottles to a party, if I had need for more I'd definitely start making my own.

Back