Flintknapped Knives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice chief! I was just wondering if there was a book and/or DVD on knapping that you would recommend for someone looking to get into knapping?
Regards, GF.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I do not do the boxes a good friend does the wood burning on a laser mill for me.

A good book is by D.C. Waldorf called The Art Of FlintKnapping. Much better to find a knapper near you or go to a knap in and watch in person. Might see you at one someday. Good luck and don't give up.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I do not do the boxes a good friend does the wood burning on a laser mill for me.

A good book is by D.C. Waldorf called The Art Of FlintKnapping. Much better to find a knapper near you or go to a knap in and watch in person. Might see you at one someday. Good luck and don't give up.

I bought that exact book a couple weeks ago!
Regards, GF.

You got me there,I usually hear all kinds of stuff when I chip in public. There are some Knapp's here in my town. They are really into steam powered tractors and old time threshing. I don't know where Windom is located but there is a real nice knap in at Lake Benton 24 miles from the National Pipe Stone Quarry. Also one called Hairy Mosquito near Milaca MN both always have World Class Flint Knappers from all across the USA. OooooogggaaaaBoooooggga!!!!! on Saturday night.

My dad knaps. He also collects arrowheads an native artifacts. Those are some nice points, Chief.

Thanks! I know some knappers from that area, We used to go to the Maxdale knap in near Killeen TX every year. TX has a lot of real nice rock if you can gain access to gather it. Tons of artifacts there as well.

Tons and tons. We've walked pastures all the way from here to Oklahoma. At one point he and my Uncle had 2000 arrowheads, spears and knives between them.

one of my moms cousins was really into it. me and him used to walk my grandparents old ranch in the Black Hills by Buffalo Gap/Hot Springs, SD looking for arrow heads and nice chunks of flint.

I'm in Oklahoma, Zone 1 which is nearly the entire state. Zone 2 (SE), starts the following week. Trying to get it done that first weekend in zone 1. May have access to a lease in zone 2 if the first week doesn't hash out. Would love to go hunting in zone 2 if it were well planned though. Some of the most beautiful hunting lands ever down there!

My brother in law grew up in those mountains. Took me and my wife and I called a bird for him and my sister. I shot a nice long bearded bird and he flopped and rolled down the mountain and I ended up losing him. Still gets to me thinking about it. Can't remember the town but for supper we went to those house's that serve the Italian food and Choc beer.

chief, the town is Krebs, OK. great brewery there and the italian food is the real deal. Apparently there was a large italian population that settled there back before prohibition. Those folks were brewing beer back then and eventually it turned into the Choc brewery in Krebs. This is where Prairie Artisan Ales currently brews all of their products. Sucks you couldn't recover the bird you shot. I had a quail sail on me after I shot him this year and my dog isn't much for recovering much of anything. He just likes to stir the covey up. Losing a turkey would suck even more! Sorry to hijack your thread, i'm getting anxious because I haven't been out in a few weeks since quail season ended.

Back