Flies!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Brewed a batch today, and the *******, *************, ********-****-******** flies about carried me off. There were over twenty-five on my keggle while I was sparging.

The propane heat ran them off, until I started chilling the wort. I had to fish two of the little ***************'s out of the wort.

I hope I don't wind up getting an infected batch.

:mad:

I need to get some metal screen, stainless maybe, and cut a keggle cover.

Keep the little ***********************s out, at least.

We get flies really bad sometimes in early spring. I light our tiki torches when doing my springtime brews and that keeps them away. I brew about 5 feet from the torches.

What about in the airlock?

My mead blew a little bit into the airlock water, and a bunch of fruit flies committed mass suicide in there. Is it seperated enough from the mead in the fermentor? Or can those lacto cultures make their way in there?

I use a fryer screen when there are a lot of bugs or leaves flying around during the cool down. The boil anything that gets in there will be sterilized.

Mike Bugs in the Airlock isnt a problem

I use a large fan on full blast aimed at my kettle while I'm sparging/cooling. That does a decent job keeping them away. It also might help a little with stuff drifting into it, although I'm not certain.

I've had to fish some out of cooling wort before and luckily never got an infection from it *knock on wood*

I luckily haven't had to do that this year even though there seem to be WAY more flies this year than i have ever seen for some reason.

Brewed a batch of American Wheat Saturday. The flies were not as bad this time, and I used a big fan blowing right over the keggle during mashing and cooling. That worked, no flies in that batch!

Still not sure about the lager mentioned in the first post, that had the flies in it.

Since I am expecting to see infection, I think maybe I do. However, it might just be yeast. It has gone through the D-Rest and is cold crashing now.

What would it smell like if it was infected? It smells like...beer.

Back