Flies around fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDocta16

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I recently have been fermenting a batch in a plastic bucket fermenter. Its got a pretty tight seal. I, however, for the last few days have seen some fruit flies chilling around the fermenter. Some of the krausen forced its way through the seal (there was some serious pressure) and is caked into some crevices and I can't really get it out without a soak, but my beer is fermenting right now so it can't be done. How easily can fruit flies work there way in through the lid? Anyone had problems with it. Its pretty high alcohol, 8.5%, so I'm thinking hopefully that any bacteria that gets in can't survive. Anyone had similar issues? Any advice? Anyone able to ease my paranoia haha? Thanks for the help

Fruit flies are bad (and plentiful in the summer), but I've never had one work through the lid. A small fan with a gentle current is typically enough to keep them off.

Fruit flies like the smell of fermentation. I wouldn't worry about them getting in if you think the seal is good. I also wouldn't try any pesticides around your beer.

i had a problem with fungus gnats around my fermenter. the following concoction resulted in probably 30-40 dead gnats within about a day

one part apple cider vinegar
one part beer
one part italian dressing
dash of water from the airlock
2-3 drops of dish soap

stir
set beside fermenter

Cool i'll try that mixture. Should I check to see if there are any larvae or flies that made it in? I don't really know how tight the seal is compared to what flies can sneak through (It's a typical fermenting bucket that comes with any starter kit). Im nervous that these little mofos destroyed a $45 batch of beer and my first batch of all grain that I want to age for a few months (I have a few quicker turn arounds under my belt) - and it tasted awesome at only a week ta boot. What kind of infection will these little guys cause if they do get in?

Acetobacter --> Acetic Acid --> Vinegar

I'd bet you're fine, though. Even if they did get in, it's still slim they'd contaminate.

they probably didn't get in...if somehow they did, it is like 95% likely that nothing will happen. it isn't like you have 10 pounds of steak in there.

If your fermenter is airtight (or even close), it's surely "fly-tight", right? I wouldn't worry, but you could do all you can to clean it up.

Spray a bunch of Starsan on there and you should be able to soak most of it off. That's what I'd try.

Back