Flavour impact by acidifying sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Happy new year!

So, ignoring tannins and poliphenols extraction, what is the flavour impact of acidifying and not acidifying (batch) sparge water?

Will the pre-boil pH change affecting final flavour?

Thanks

Usually the mineral content of the mash will buffer ph change in the sparge, within reason. So acidification of sparge water only becomes necessary if the sparge ph is over 5.7. Do you know the mineral content of your water? I know Surrey is close to London, so maybe fair to say it's fairly high in bi-carbonate and calcium but low in sulfite?

Could depend on acid type. Lactic is likely to have more impact then say phosphoric.

:tank:
Usually the mineral content of the mash will buffer ph change in the sparge, within reason. So acidification of sparge water only becomes necessary if the sparge ph is over 5.7. Do you know the mineral content of your water? I know Surrey is close to London, so maybe fair to say it's fairly high in bi-carbonate and calcium but low in sulfite?

Alkalinity is near 300 ppm as CaCO3' so quite high.
The thing is that I brew a stout that turned out really nice, but i forgot to acidify the sparge water, so i batch sparged twice with my alkaline water.

Considering the beer turned out nice, i don't know if i should acidify next time round or keep it as is, hence the question if acidyfing world affect flavour.
Any advice?

Acidifying your sparge water would change the flavor of the beer especially a stout. A stout that has a lower than optimal ph range will taste thin and watery, and hop utilization will also decline.
I have the opposite problem with my water, it's very low in carbonate. If I want to make a stout I have to add calcium carbonate to the mash.
If the beer tastes fine you probably have nothing to worry about, however, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you tested the mash and sparge with either a ph meter or test strips just to make sure. Cheers

Acidifying your sparge water would change the flavor of the beer especially a stout. A stout that has a lower than optimal ph range will taste thin and watery, and hop utilization will also decline.
I have the opposite problem with my water, it's very low in carbonate. If I want to make a stout I have to add calcium carbonate to the mash.
If the beer tastes fine you probably have nothing to worry about, however, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you tested the mash and sparge with either a ph meter or test strips just to make sure. Cheers

What would you say a good pre boil pH range for a stout is?

Back