Flavoring cider help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgr2973

Reaction score
I am new to home Brewing and just started fermenting a gallon of hard cider. I want to add flavors to it should I have done it during the primary or wait till I rack To a secondary

roadymi said:
Secondary is often the preferred time to add flavors

Thanks for the info any suggestions on how to add the flavor I was thinking of a Carmel or cinnamon flavoring

Either or both primary & secondary are fine for adding adjunct flavours. When using spices, I always use whole, cracked, or sliced spices. The reason being that unless you use a sort of teabag, powdered spices are next to impossible to remove after the desired spice flavour profile has been reached. Stick cinnamon is easier to add/remove than powdered cinnamon. BTW, some spices, like cinnamon, tend to make a nasty mucilagenous mess, stick cinnamon doesn't. I just put spices in a hop sack with a couple of sanitized marbles to weigh it down.

For caramel, you could try this guy's method:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/

Or you could try adding some caramel malt, much like Brandon O's graff, though you'd likely need to increase the crystal/caramel malt:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

Or you might try this one:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/creamy-oat-caramel-apple-cider-291927/

Actual carmels contain milk/fat & would likely go rancid during fermentation.
Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Thanks for the info any suggestions on how to add the flavor I was thinking of a Carmel or cinnamon flavoring

My favorite is to add pumpkin pie spice. I makes a great cider that taste like apple pie. I add around two Tbs to a cup of vodka and let is sit for a couple of days. Then pour the vodka off of the spices into the keg. I then add honey/water to the keg to sweeten it to taste. Give it a force carbonate like champagne and age until crystal clear.
My wife calls it the panty melter.

This is some awesome information. Has anyone tried infusing chocolate in their ciders. If so how did it turn out?

Interested in chocolate idea. My guess would be that you would need dark chocolate, or cocoa beans.

CollegeCider said:
Interested in chocolate idea. My guess would be that you would need dark chocolate, or cocoa beans.

I was thinking the same thing using dark chocolate. Or coco beans. I think in will experiment with both

Cocoa powder works. You can get a variety of cocoa nibs from some LHBS. I have a cocoa mead going now since april. I added 4 oz of Nestle cocoa powder/ gallon in the secondary. I am expecting this to need 2 years to age out.

roadymi said:
Cocoa powder works. You can get a variety of cocoa nibs from some LHBS. I have a cocoa mead going now since april. I added 4 oz of Nestle cocoa powder/ gallon in the secondary. I am expecting this to need 2 years to age out.

Awesome thanks for the tips

Back