flavor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossbergmike

Reaction score
the last two batches that i have brewed.. both have unhopped extract kits... one was a honey wheat beer and the other a belgian wit. the honey wheat when first opened after 2 weeks in the bottle had a strong banana taste.. after leaving them another 3 weeks the taste is so faint but is still there... today im racking the begian whit into a corny from the primary and it had a strong odor of bananas...

ive read that it can be from too high fermenting temps.. the temp was always at 65-68 for the belgian and i used a wet shirt around it when it got to 68 or 69... the taste in my first one is so faint that it is very drinkable... a little sweet... is this banana taste something i may have done or is it just an extract wheat beer thing as these were my first two batches ever???

banana/clove flavor is typical of hefe/Belgium yeast. Research esters, maybe this is just not your style of beer

thats what i was hoping and thinking.. shouldnt be a problem.. when i first started brewing that all i liked was wheat beers... but after i started brewing, i started drinking more styles of beer. and only drinking craft beers and imports and have found that im a lover of amber ales and brown ales.. so im pretty much done with wheats beers anyways

is the 65-68 temperature the ambient room temp? or the temp reading right off the fermenter ? I've personally seen fermenting temps 7-8 degrees above ambient, and I've heard of 10 degrees above ambient.

Back