Flavor Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the taste of a finished brew. I brewed up an american amber ale from a BB kit. The beer has been in bottles for about less then a week but i cracked on open to see how carbed it was (One bottle was really carbed, the other not so much, think i added a tad too much sugar and didnt get an even distribution). Anyway, the beer has a wierd after taste. Its really hard to pin point what the taste is so i am not sure if its just the flavor of the beer or not. I was kind of hesitant about making this post, because i dont think i should be worried until this beer has some time to age, but does anyone have any insight? If the beer was skunked, would it be extremely noticible, and not just a wierd after taste? Thanks.

Here are the ingredients-

MALTS & EXTRACTS
3.3 Lbs Plain Amber LME (Muntons)
2 lbs plain amber DME
8 oz Crushed crystal malt 60 L
HOPS
1 oz williamette hops 60min
1 oz williamette hops 5 min
YEAST
1 Packet DANSTAR ale yeast
GRAVITY
Starting Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.012

You might be possibly experiencing what is known as extract twang. It's hard to describe, but it's a unique taste that carries through from batch to batch on liquid extract beers.

Possible causes include freshness of the extract. Every liquid extract beer I've brewed has had what I would call the twang.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Extract+twang+site%3Awww.homebrewtalk.com[/ame]

EDIT: Follow the advice in the previous post. Let it age a couple more weeks, then see if it'd gotten better.

I agree that it's really to early to tell, but it should be pretty good already. Your recipe looks ok.

I'll second cnbudz's questions and ask if you can pinpoint that weird taste. Maybe like cloves? bananas? green apples? If you can kind of tell us what it reminds you of, we can tell you if it's normal or not. Still, it'll get better in a couple of weeks, no matter what we tell you!

I'd be willing to bet that you are referring to extract twang (was the taste somewhat sweet?) This is not uncommon in all extract beers, especially those brewed of canned LME.

Personally I have found that using DME and specialty grains eliminated this flavor.

The taste will change weekly. Try one a week and when the taste has mello'd add that to your brew notes for reference next time you brew it. If you do.

I will let them mellow out a bit. I am going out of town for two weeks on monday so when i get back they should be good and ready. I will post back then if i still have any questions.

Like most people here, I'd recommend:
-Waiting another two weeks.
-DME instead of LME.

I'd put a million dollars on it just being green. Once you've brewed some all grain beers, you can start to taste the extract twang (personally I don't care if it's liquid or dry). but no newby could possibly detect that, right? Your beer is extremely young. The flavour won't stabalize till it's about 2 months old.... if it lasts that long. Thank god you won't be able to touch it for the next two weeks, 'cause it'll be damn good by the time you get back. Just be sure to try and set a sixer asside so you'll know (3 months from now) why so many people stress the time issue around here;)

GaryA said:
when the taste has mello'd at that to your knows with the brew to refer to next time you brew it. If you do.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

:drunk:

rabidgerbil said:
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

:drunk:

Damn that was bad and I was sober. :rockin: