Flavor Profile for Vermont DIPA yeast from Omega Yeast Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
Question for anyone that's brewed with this yeast. What has your experience been with this? Reason I ask is that I have a standard DIPA recipe that I brew in 10 gallon batches. Our yeast of choice has been US-05 and works great.......beer finishes around 1.002 and no issues (great aromatic and hop presence). Brewed our most recent batch using the Omega Labs DIPA yeast and result is not at all what we were expecting. The flavor profile is similar to a lager and with 1.5 lbs hops total in the beer (incl. 3oz Simcoe / 3oz Citra) in dryhop we are getting very little aromatic and almost no hop character coming through. Everything else in the brewing process was identical to what we have been doing with this recipe......only difference was the yeast. Not picking up anything like Diacetyl just an overall weird flavor. Just curious if anyone you have dealt with has had a similar experience? Don't think we are going to use this strain again. Have used the saison yeast from Omega and that was awesome.

It attenuates around 75%, but gets to 80% with subsequent gerneations IME

it can ferment anywhere from like 60 up to 70, I wouldnt go past 70, I usually keep it in the low 60s. Nice peach apricot flavors. Low flocculation.

If you are having hop character trouble, it is definitely not from this yeast.

I think youll need to show the recipe and your technique to diagnose the issue

You have a double IPA that finished at 1.002 fermented with US-05? I think there is something wrong with your hydrometer if it really had the OG of a DIPA

Brewed On 12-18

20.0 lb 2-Row
3.0 lb Maris Otter
2.0 lb Honey Malt
2.0 lb Dry Malt Extract - Golden Light
1.0 lb Dextrose
1.0 lb Wheat (US)

1oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Centennial @ 30
1oz Centennial @ 15
1oz Centennial @ 10
1oz Simcoe @ 10
2oz Centennial @ 0 (whirlpool 10 minutes)

2 whirlfloc tablets @ 15

Omega DIPA yeast (2000ml Starter)

OG 1.071

Pitched at 72 degrees
Primary sat between 70 and 72

Transfered to secondary on 12/31 and
Dry Hopped with 3oz Citra / 3oz Simcoe

Dropped temp to 62 between 12/31 and 1/3
Moved to garage where currently sitting at 42

13oz hops in a 10gal batch? Maybe I'm just a dirty West-coaster, but to me that needs more hops to be an IPA, much less a DIPA; a lot more in the whirlpool, and a little more in the dryhop.

Also please check those gravity numbers. If you really got ~92%ADF from a typical ale yeast, I think there's also something else in there eating your sugars. Maybe that's your weird off-flavor? Maybe you're contaminated with that Saison yeast?

13oz hops in a 10gal batch? Maybe I'm just a dirty West-coaster, but to me that needs more hops to be an IPA, much less a DIPA; a lot more in the whirlpool, and a little more in the dryhop.

I have to check with my brew partner who has the master recipe but I believe we will be dropping at least another 2oz of citra and simcoe for dry hopping in Corney kegs when we transfer on Sunday.

I'll also review our brew logs and verify the gravity readings. Think I may have given the wrong numbers there

I agree with @agrazela

Id also take out or cut that honey malt by at least half. Its going to make your IPA too sweet, which is a common issue with DIPAs from what I see

I've used US-05 for a couple IIPA's. First thing I noticed reading the OP was the FG 1.002. That's really low considering DIPA's are typically above 1.070 OG. Definitely sounds like a contaminate issue. That would explain an off flavor.

That hop schedule looks close to my 5gal batches. I might even have more for my West coast styles(big bittering additions).

I just brewed a 'Vermont style' DIPA yesterday. Have it on the Omega DIPA yeast. Hoping it works out.

We've used the yeast once, when we revamped our IPA. Living in Vermont made us want to try it. We were happy with the results. We got more yeast character than we did with US-05. More peachy/ apricot flavours, and a bit more haze. No "off flavours " to speak of.

Latest posts

Back