Flavor improvement at the end of the glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
My roommate and I have noticed that our homebrews taste better at the end of the glass. It seems like the first few sips taste a little off but then it goes away and the rest tastes great. By a little off, I mean that there is a subtle extra flavor, like extra bitterness or a mild alcohol flavor. Not necessarily bad, but it is there. Has anyone else experienced this? The possible reasons I've thought of are:

1. Temperature increase leads to more maltiness, which balances the hops.
2. Our taste buds are slightly dulled.
3. We're not as critical after the first few sips.

Or maybe it's something else.

I vote for #1 being the most likely suspect. Also the head seems to carry certain undesireable flavors...I'll give you a f'instance....recently I picked up a 4 pack of Corsendonk. Off the pour it had the flavor of steel, which is most likely from the caps somehow. It carried along on the head really to the point of being offensive. But I noticed that once the head had subsided it was much much less noticeable. So the head can be a vehicle for some flavors good and bad.

I would guess it's perhaps some of all three, but mostly #1, I think. Also, it could be that the beers are slightly over-carbed, and the carbonation is giving it a bit of extra bite. As some of that goes away the beer smooths out.

It's probably all of those things, but I suspect temperature is the primary factor. Most ales in particular simply taste better, IMHO, at a temperature considerably higher than what is considered normal beer temperature by most Americans.

Are you drinking them straight from the fridge, or allowing them to warm up for a period before openning them?

Torchiest said:
I would guess it's perhaps some of all three, but mostly #1, I think. Also, it could be that the beers are slightly over-carbed, and the carbonation is giving it a bit of extra bite. As some of that goes away the beer smooths out.

That's a good point as well. The carbonation (C02) is acidic.

cweston said:
Are you drinking them straight from the fridge, or allowing them to warm up for a period before openning them?

We drink most of them straight from the fridge, but we have a beer fridge that we keep at about 45-48 degrees. The temp works well for a lot of the lighter ales, but is a little low for porters and stouts, so we let those warm up a bit.

Torchiest said:
Also, it could be that the beers are slightly over-carbed, and the carbonation is giving it a bit of extra bite. As some of that goes away the beer smooths out.

I didn't think of that. I've been thinking about backing off on the priming sugar. 3/4 cup seems to make it a little to fizzy for my taste anyways. I might try a half to 2/3 cup on my next batch.

Also, by the time you reach the end of the glass, you have your nose buried in brew vapors. The aroma would be more pronounced at that point. You could test this by putting a couple ounces in a glass and swirling it around like winos do.

Back