Flavor Fading, or Off-Flavor Clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve notice that the lagers I make with W34/70 tend to have a yeasty, bready flavor when fresh out of the fermenter. It fades within a week or two of cold storage. Is this a good thing (I’m lagering away an off-flavor!) or a bad thing (my fresh flavor is oxidizing away!)?

I happen to like the flavor, but don’t know if it’s desired generally or inappropriate for the (general lager) style. Any thoughts?

I want to see what others say as well, but I too like that fresh, yeasty, bready flavor in my lagers. If they last long enough (some do), say a week or two, that flavor does fade but usually melds into a crisp, slightly bitter-er, flavor, with the "bite" that lager yeast contributes. No shame in drinking your lagers fresh, in my opinion. Here's from the 2021 BJCP guidelines for a Czech lager: " Flavor: Medium-low to medium bready-rich malt flavor with a rounded, hoppy finish. Low to medium-high spicy or herbal hop flavor. Bitterness is prominent but never harsh. Flavorful and refreshing. Low diacetyl or fruity esters are optional, but should never be overbearing."

Back