Flavor difference between 2-row and Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgman

Reaction score
Grains?

I have some 2-row around and wanted to brew a beer that called for Pilsner malt.

Any idea how the character of the beer will change? From experience not from descriptions of the characters of the malts?

IMHO, pilsner is little bit more malty and a fuller flavor. Wheras 2 row is more neutral/bland. To say how your particular beer will change would be impossible since we don't have your recipe.

7 lbs (2row or Pils)
1/2 lb (honey malt)
1/2lb (aromatic malt)
2 lbs (honey)
1 lb (invert sugar)
Some Coriander, pepper, orange peel and lemon zest.
2 0z Saaz 60 min boil

Wyeast 3787

You will be fine using the 2-row. Pils malts provide a more 'grainy' flavor that is just a bit different. I wouldn't really call it more malty, because you can produce malty beers with 2-row base, but it is a slightly different flavor I would describe as more 'bready or grainy'. Of course taste is pretty subjective, so hopefully some others will chime in with their experiences.

I bounce back and forth between 2-row and Canadian Pilsner for my base grain in my Pale Ales. For some odd reason I have a habit of using caramunich with the Pilsner and Crystal with the 2-row. I can only describe the difference as a cleaner grain 'bite' or 'snap' with the Pilsner. If that makes any sense at all.

I started brewing about a year ago. Where is th best place or website to learn about grain flavors and their different characters?

Im brewing an American Pale Ale next week in which I am using both. 6.23 Lbs of Pale Malt 2-Row and 4.42 Lbs of Pilsner Malt. Im throwing in some Munich 10L, a touch of Victory, and a few ozs of Golden Naked Oats. My hope is that the combo of 2-Row and Pilsner adds a bit more complexity to the base. We will see.

One thing to take into account when using pilsner malt is that you probably want to do a 90 minute boil instead of a 60 minute one. One difference between these grains is the temperature at which they are malted. Pilsner is malted very low, and this low malt temp leaves a significant amount of DMS precursor. This DMS precursor quickly becomes DMS whenever the wort is above 140 degrees. The only way to get rid of it is to boil it off. DMS is removed from the wort through a vigorous boil, particularly a long (90min) vigorous boil. Also, you will want to chill it as quickly as possible, because when you get to flameout the wort will still be producing DMS until the temp gets below 140. If you can get there in five or ten minutes the amount produced will not be noticable, but if it takes you an hour to chill you'll probably noitce a "cooked corn" flavor in your beer.

Some DMS is ok in a pilsner, but not a pleasant flavor in a pale ale. Long story short, if you are using Pilsner for a Pale Ale, do a 90 minute boil and chill as fast as you can.

@ hopdreams

Start with the BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) website. www.bjcp.org. Their website as a ton of great information on the different flavors in grains (ass well as hops and flavors produced by different yeasts).

One thing to take into account when using pilsner malt is that you probably want to do a 90 minute boil instead of a 60 minute one. One difference between these grains is the temperature at which they are malted. Pilsner is malted very low, and this low malt temp leaves a significant amount of DMS precursor. This DMS precursor quickly becomes DMS whenever the wort is above 140 degrees. The only way to get rid of it is to boil it off. DMS is removed from the wort through a vigorous boil, particularly a long (90min) vigorous boil. Also, you will want to chill it as quickly as possible, because when you get to flameout the wort will still be producing DMS until the temp gets below 140. If you can get there in five or ten minutes the amount produced will not be noticable, but if it takes you an hour to chill you'll probably noitce a "cooked corn" flavor in your beer.

Some DMS is ok in a pilsner, but not a pleasant flavor in a pale ale. Long story short, if you are using Pilsner for a Pale Ale, do a 90 minute boil and chill as fast as you can.

Everything I've read regarding pilsner malts suggests both a longer mash and a 90min boil as well. I did a batch when I started all grain and used pilsner but I did not do a longer mash or a 90min boil and I had pretty bad DMS (Veggie Flavor). Since then I read a bit regarding pilsner malts and I've now done 2 since then doing the longer mash and boil and no problems.

I currently have a Harp clone lagering. That used pilsner malt. I did not detect the same veggie taste in the SG samples. It won't be ready to keg for another week or 2.

+1 for this advice. I didn't do a 90 min boil when substituting Pilsner for 2-row in a pale ale. Finished product just does not have a clean taste.

Back