Flavor Clean-Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireManDan

Reaction score
So a few months back I brewed a couple batches of beer on the same day back to back. One was an IPA and the other an old school APA recipe I found. I used White Labs Ca 5 yeast for both. When the APA was done I bottled as usual and let them age for a few weeks prior to my wedding. A couple things occurred, one I did not hit terminal gravity. This was made apparent by bottle bombs I was now housing and over carbonated bottles. Second (and more major problem) was a horrible rubber glove taste and smell that I had. I used unfiltered tap water and I pretty sure that was the case. Now the IPA that I've mentioned once has been sitting in it's secondary since early November. I plan on sampling it tomorrow to see if it suffered the same horrible outcome. My question that I was just pondering is........if a guy were to add an ample amount of a fermentable sugar and re-pitch the same or even a neutral yeast would that perhaps take care of the problem? If anyone with experience can help a guy out I would really appreciate it. Trying to not think about the reality and having to dump this puppy down the drain.

No, dumping in sugar isn't going to fix that issue. Have you checked the gravity? Did you check the gravity of the bottle bombs? Did you calculate your priming sugar? As for as the plastic flavor, what are you fermenting in? What temperature? What's the chlorine content of your water?

These are a few variables that come to mind. The more information we have, the more we can help :mug:

Yes, I calculated my priming sugar and that was correct. I overlooked my terminal gravity or lack there-of. I fermented in a bucket and then transferred into a glass carboy. I think the yeast did not like something in my tap water. It tastes and smells like a rubber glove not like plastic. If that makes any sense.

Are you maybe describing a "band-aid" smell/ flavor? When I moved to my current location, my first brew was a disaster. I filtered the water. But, it turns out this town uses chloramines. The beer was very unpleasant, and I had never had that experience before. Luckily, my elderly neighbor (after tasting the offensive beer!) introduced me to 2 local springs. I now brew with water from those springs.

Mike

Now the IPA that I've mentioned once has been sitting in it's secondary since early November. I plan on sampling it tomorrow to see if it suffered the same horrible outcome.

Just curious, why would have an IPA sit in secondary that long? Fresh is best with those so just enough time to clarify is plenty.

Back