Flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallachia

Reaction score
Hello again,
Brewing an extract IPA (last thread)

I actually kind of like the taste of it compared to my last few beers, the only problem is that this time it's flat as a pancake after 2 weeks. Tried 2 bottles and both are utterly flat
I switched this time from using honey as a priming agent to using pils DME. I used about 66 grams (as I recall) for a 3 gallon batch. I added it to about 3/4 cup of water to make mixing into the bottling bucket easier, and simply microwaved it for about 45 seconds (to about 170 degrees) to pasteurize it.
Did I render the sugar undigestible by carmelization in the microwave or something? Any idea what I goofed up on here? Have not had any carbonization problems (to the contrary, my first few batches were too fizzy)

Perhaps more importantly, can it be salvaged?

I get that, but there was little sound made from CO2 escaping when I opened the caps (there was some sound, but it was quite a weak amount of pressure) and the beer wasn't just inadequately carbonated, it was utterly flat.

There was still a fair amount of dead yeast at the bottom of each bottles as well. Could the caps be improperly sealed or am I overthinking this?

If the caps weren't sealing, you would have NO hiss at all when you opened them.
I think you just plain underprimed.
You used 2/3rds of the correct amount of sugar, so you should be roughly that same amount low.
So for example, if you were aiming for 2.4 vols, you would end up with 1.6 vols.
Get them someplace warm (above 70) for a couple of weeks and then in the fridge for at least a week and then check them again. You may just have to suffer through some slightly fizzy or flat beer.
I had a batch of pale ale that inexplicably was way overcarbed and I ended up cooking with a bunch of them. Best venison stew that I have ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back