Flat cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
I've noticed a few posts on related topics, but I thought I'd ask again.

Two weeks ago, I bottled a batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein using 3/4 cup priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

I popped one open today for the first time, and there was virtually no carb at all. There were no bubbles and it didn't taste carbonated. The only hint that anything had happened after I had bottled was a slight "hiss" when I opened the top - but even that was barely present.

Anybody have problems with cider not bottle carbing?

I've noticed a few posts on related topics, but I thought I'd ask again.

Two weeks ago, I bottled a batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein using 3/4 cup priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

I popped one open today for the first time, and there was virtually no carb at all. There were no bubbles and it didn't taste carbonated. The only hint that anything had happened after I had bottled was a slight "hiss" when I opened the top - but even that was barely present.

Anybody have problems with cider not bottle carbing?

It'll carb up. Keep it at 70 degrees at least two more weeks. If the temperature drops below 70 degrees, it'll take quite a bit longer.

Thanks for the feedback, all! Looks like this batch goes into the cellar for awhile (well, the metaphorical cellar anyways - all I've got is my bedroom closet!)

Mine are usually carbed in two weeks - but I live in hawaii and it rarely drops below 70* in my house.
I would assume for you mainlanders, in the cellar, or in an unconditioned room in the winter you'd be quite a bit below 70*... so that could well be it.

Back